1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius 2008 damage !!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by corkerjoe, Feb 20, 2008.

1. corkerjoe

corkerjoe New Member

Wife backed into another car. I need a new rear bumper, if that is what it is called.
    Really cold whether seems to make it brittle -3
    have a 2008 driftwood perle. If you know where i can find,in central MI. I need one.:eek:

2. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you have pictures of what it looks like?

3. joerdie

joerdie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dos thou hath insurance? I am no expert but your deductible, once paid to fix the other car, should also cover yours. Right?

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have never heard of paying your deductible to fix the other car. If you don't get your own car fixed, then no deductible. If it is just the rear bumper cover, then the cost is likely right in the $500 to $600 range where if you have a $500 deductibel, you wonder if it is worth submitting a claim for less than $100. On the other hand, if there is a claim for the other car, might as well. Other choice would be to buy one from a wrecking yard of the same color or get someone to paint it. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Be sure to point out the Back Up Camera to the wife.

5. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mainly the part is called "Bumper Cover". It depends on how badly your rear bumper cover is damaged, any photos too?

If it's just a scratch (no dents), you can either cover it up with some moldings or buff it out. But if the bumper is pushed out of alignment (from the car body) then you may have some serious damage going on behind there and a Insurance call maybe needed.

A ballpark figure of the "Bumper Cover" part itself is around $200, unpainted. Not sure how much the paint shop will charge you to paint-match the cover, maybe another $200?

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The inference is that the bumper cover cracked because it was brittle. Maybe there are missing pieces. If your insurance company is paying for the damage to the other car then submit a claim if the estimate exceeds your deductible. If you can find a matching used one, great.

7. teeg1973

teeg1973 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    NO advice here, just wanted to chime in that I too have bumper damage....Someone evidently hit us while we were parked and cracked the bumper, but left no info. I have not yet gotten an estimate and am trying to figure out if it is best to just pay out of pocket. If I could patch it on my own I probably would since funds are low, but we shall see. Gotta love it!

Tracy

8. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I recently had a bumper cover replaced, and it was between $800 and $900. But that included a replacement of the rear light assembly lens, which was also cracked.

So $500-600 doesn't sound too out of line.

9. pjkwong

pjkwong New Member

yeah replacing bumper's main cost is getting it painted to match
    usually the bumper cover is under $250 if you prefer the dull black look

10. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Then paint or tape it thusly:

Attached Files:

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence