1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius 2008 key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sandra Carr, May 22, 2019.

1. Sandra Carr

Sandra Carr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello, I'm new to the push button start. I have a 2008 Toyota prius hybrid. it has one key fob that you put in the slot or just have with you. push button start and the door also opens if you are near. Just paid for a key at the Toyota dealer but it isn't programmed yet. can I program it myself or do I need to get a locksmith to do it? I haven't picked up the key yet, but it was around 175.00 just for the key.

thanks, Sandra

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

there are threads here if you do a search in the gen 2 forums. sometimes you can and sometimes you can't.

people buy them on ebay for around $115. i think.

all the best!(y)

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    look for the chicken dance thread. It works. I've done it and many others on the forum have used it to program new keys and they've been fully functional.

This is a link to the thread:

How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality | PriusChat

Read through it. Print out the portion needed and do a couple practice runs. I printed it out, had my son sit in the passenger seat and I sat in driver seat. He was the reader and I was the performer. Did 2 dry runs to make sure we were familiar with it and then did it for real. Worked perfect.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius