1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010: The new Celica?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by millerjl26, Jul 14, 2009.

1. millerjl26

millerjl26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There has been much hand-wringing on other Toyota forums that Toyota had given up on the "Sports Car" crowd when they dropped the Celica. Now, I know that the Celica was an underpowered sports car but it appealed to a certain group of car buyers - I was one of them and had two of the hatchbacks back in the 1980s. Just recently I took a look at my new 2010 and thought I could see the updated bones of a Celica, but with a new respect for gas mileage. Anyone else see the new direction for Toyota's sports car in the Gen III?

2. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm.. I thought Toyota basically rebranded the Celica into the Scion tC, no? :confused:

Of course when the Honda CR-Z comes out, Toyota will have to put the Hybrid Synergy Drive into a sporty coupe to compete, so a sporty 2-door Prius might not be that far-fetched.. :D

3. av8harrier

av8harrier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting thought. I owned a 1979 Toyota Supra. It has been my only hatchback until now. I do see some similarities to the sporty styling of my 2010 Prius V, but doubt there was any intentional retro styling.

4. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I still like the latest celica model. I see them on the road a lot and it's such a seductive car! And I'll admit to spending more than a passing few minutes thinking about how I could "re-skin" a Prius to make a hybrid Celica! That would be HOT!

5. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    By next summer, maybe sooner, the 2nd generation tC should be released. There is a picture of a concept vehicle called the Fuse viewable on the Scion web site. It is not known if it will look like that.

They did drop the Celica after the tC was introduced but tC is not exactly a rebranded Celica. Like all Scions, it is priced and equiped to appeal to young first time buyers. It is a great value but if you want true luxo features, you're out of luck. At $17,000, it does come standard with features that some Prius buyers lust after: panorama sunroof, 17" wheels and directional signals in the side mirrors.

If you haven't figured it out I am a tC owner. I will be giving it to my daughter when I get my Prius. I'll miss it.:(

6. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love my prius, but it's about as sporty as a chain-smoking grandma is sexy.

1 person likes this.
  7. sleeka

sleeka Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Remember that the Gen III Prius uses a (down-graded) version of the last 2ZZ Celica motor.
    It's still a Twin-cam, but in Prius guise, puts out a lot less power at less-stratospheric RPM with torque generated in an area where it can be used with the Hybrid System.
    Horses for courses.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A new Celica, with the added torque and traction control of synergy drive, would be very well received. Not a two seater Prius, necessarily, but lessons learned could certainly be applied with a sportier intent.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 3 uses the ZR engine, not the ZZ.. unless you're telling me there's a high strung ZR engine out there.

10. sleeka

sleeka Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The engine family is 2Z.....different variants have different letters after that.

11. Outlander

Outlander New Member

Model:
    III
    Comparing a Celica to a Prius is a bit of a stretch.

By post 70's energy crisis standards the '82-85's were actually very competitive with anything out there for performance other than the Supra's and Z-cars.

Back in the day I cross shopped the Celica GT with the Mustang GT and Camaro.

Curiously or coincidentally, I did the same thing again 27 years later and disqualified the muscle cars for the exact same reasons. The Mustang's solid rear axle is still a miserable ride on broken pavement and the Camaro's design is way too impractical for daily use. In both cases I was looking at old tech repackaged as new.

Now if they had put the Fusion's hybrid system in the Mustang, that would have changed my decision. At the price they are asking for those things, why not?

12. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I always considered the Scion tC to be "the new Celica" but for thousands less.

Having been selling Toyota since 1980, I have seen so many models come and go - but most stay. While I was pretty surprised the Celica and Supra died off in the 90's, it was evident in the mid 90's that Toyota was moving toward a different era of cars... and era that spawned some strange and wonderfully unique models that perhaps did well in Japan but were met with mediocre results here. To name a few?

Echo
    Paseo
    Camry coupe (pre-Solara)
    Camry station wagon (pre-Highlander)

and some cars evolved into others that did well but were, in essence, morphed to other cars ... Cressida became Avalon. Camry wagon sort of evolved to Highlander, in my eyes. And, Camry coupe became Solara... of course Tercel = Echo = Yaris!

A few thoughts.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but the ZR wouldn't be the "downgraded" version of the celica motor. Technically, that would be the 1ZZ.