1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2010 Under Carriage Treatment - Northern States

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by unit333, Dec 20, 2009.

1. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi
    I am about to buy a Prius 2010 in a few days. I'll be getting it in Georgia (I'll be there for the holidays) but then I am driving back to New york City, which is where I live. So my question is: I've heard stories regarding, cars being treated with some special coat or spray underneath, so they withstand the salt from the streets during the winter season. So I am not sure if I should do that since I am getting it from the south, where obviously there would be less snow issues and no coat applied by the dealer. I am not going to be driving that much, since its New York/Brooklyn, but still wanted to see if you can advise me more on the subject?

Thank you

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well I live in Buffalo and we certainly have our share of SNOW and SALTY roads in the winter. I used to Rust Proof or Apply treatments years ago.

I no longer do that. There are both postive and negative reviews on the subject.

Since your in NYC area, your snow (typically) is limited and I would think what would make more sense is to wash the car slightly more frequently if exposed to salt from winter's mess...

There are many panels under the Prius and I just am not comfortable with the application anymore, and have found that keeping the car clean in the winter goes a long way to minimizing rust and corrosion.

The cost of the application will probably give you lot's of good car washes over a few years period. ;)

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're "not going to be driving that much" don't buy a Prius. It's a car that is meant to be driven. You'll probably end up with 12v battery problems unless it's driven regularly. Just my thoughts...

4. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Naah, the battery would be fine, I've researched how to deal with this. Plus i am thinking of moving to Cali in a few years so the car would be paid off by then. I've been waiting for the opportunity to get a Prius for a looong time, not gonna bail now for sure.

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner with 305,000 miles that I bought new Nov 1999. I did not waste my money on the extended warranty, rust proofing, under coat treatments, scotch guard treatments or the any of the other items the dealer tries to sell you.

It’s a Toyota!!!! It is built to last with out the rips off items the dealers tries to sell you.

Here is a pic of my 4Runner. It has made it through 9 1/2 Cleveland, OH winters and it is in perfect shape. I predict my 2010 Prius will have the same results.

4Runner Pictures taken 09-30-09

6. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Makes sense.
    Thank you