1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius: 2010 vs 2016-8

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Wraiththe, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2010 Prius (loaded) vs 2016 w/most options.

Test drove a 2016 yesterday. They are quieter, hold the road better... The one I tested looked like maybe it had been in excessive water. The mags ($500 a piece) were powdery looking and seemed to have the gloss coat over the metal flaking.

1) When I got in the back seat, I wrenched my neck the first time... seems like it is harder to get in.

2) The trunk seems a lot smaller... I noticed there is no spare and no storage space under the floor. (liquid tire repair and an electric pump and manual jack.)

Is it me, or is it so? Any reasons I should not replace the car with a newer one?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gen 4 comes in several different packages. some with spares, some without. see the sticky in the main forum.
    you can remove the styrofoam and put a spare there, or just use it for storage, there are threads here.

i think it is a concensus among owners that gen 4 is a major upgrade in almost every way.

Wraiththe and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    not too concerned about the spare, but the storage space helps. Getting into the back is an issue if you want to do uber... although it seems too nice and too expensive to use it for uber... but nice to drive... and sit in if doing uber.

bisco likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's also considerably more economical. A much better drive.

Wraiththe likes this.
  5. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Economical is debateable. With the prices the way they are... More economical to buy an old one for much less and the savings in the price of the car will more than offset any savings in gas by purchasing a new prius... or even a newer one... with the prices they are asking online.
    I will never buy a car from carvana!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, we're in a strange place these days

Wraiththe likes this.
  7. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If your 2010 is still running well and you don't dread getting into it every morning I see no reason to try your luck in the current used market right now. Prices are inflated and stock is low. You may want to put aside some money for any unexpected repairs and eek out another year from your 2010 - if nothing else you'll have more saved away to put towards a newer car next year.

Wraiththe likes this.
  8. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was hit a few weeks ago, they want to total it.
    2010 10'th anniversary edition. Extremely well kept...
    upload_2021-11-15_1-51-40.png
    upload_2021-11-15_1-52-32.png upload_2021-11-15_1-52-48.png upload_2021-11-15_1-53-24.png upload_2021-11-15_1-53-54.png

I could have cried when they said it would be a total loss. 8.4K to fix.
    The best I could get was $7900 which is no where near enough to get a mint condition 2010 with sunroof, 8spk jbl, leather... that does not smell to high hell, is broken down, or has 200K or less. I never use air freshener. If a smoker rides or someone with too much perfume... the seats get cleaned when they get out. Car smells like leather. Lots of DB's trying to slip salvage vehicles on unsuspecting people... The stuff I have seen... sucker born every day... and six to take them.

9. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    That definitely changes things. Uber won't allow you to drive a car with a rebuilt or salvage title so your 2010 is already out. You are due the market value of your car before the crash. Your insurance could be trying to low ball you.

Buying right now really sucks. If you can find a gen4 at a reasonable price I believe it will serve your purposes fine. But I wouldn't be dead set on a specific car at this time. Keep an eye out for any reasonable deals even if it's not a Prius.