1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2012 Speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jeff Hubert, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Jeff Hubert

Jeff Hubert New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have already installed a 4ch. amp to power the fronts and rears as well as a focal ibus 20 sub with its own amp under the drivers seat. I have changed the rear speakers with Hertz ECX-165 in the rear doors.

Now I want to install Hertz HCX-690 6 x 9's in the front doors. I choose this because I like the full sound of a 6x9 as the bass seems better. I have the sub set up to offer some extra umph. I plan on leaving the dash speakers as is.

My question is... Am I making a mistake? Should I be installing tweeters in the dash and 6.5" woofers the doors?

Thanks in advance.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    3-way Hertz HSK 163. See my Album.

3. Jeff Hubert

Jeff Hubert New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice install! It must sound great?

Did you leave the original speakers in the dash?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, the dash speakers were replaced with the 3" mid range, the 1" tweeter installed on the A-pillar trim, 6.5" woofer in the door with cross-overs under the drivers seat. Before you change the fronts, get your vehicle specific wiring diagram. The 2010 Level II Base system print in my album shows the factory front components wired with a base blocker on the same feed. The feeds from my amp went to the cross-overs then wired individually to the speaker components. Be sure to match all system impedance and power requirements for a balanced and correct system.

5. OCTrojan95

OCTrojan95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jeff,
    I have a few question(s) re. your "Focal IBus 20 sub (with its own amp under the drivers seat)." I'm unable to sacrifice the rear cargo bay, which limits my options to the under seat.
    1. Does this sub fit completely under the driver's side seat? Any chance my young son/other passengers can kick it, provided it's awkwardly protruding? Can you provide pics of this install?
    2. Does it provide enough low end to compliment the OEM speakers?

Eventually, I will replace the OEMs with Focals, but I'm prioritizing my expenditures as follows:
    a. HID high beams and fog (just ordered 6000K Xenon low beams with warning canceller and 55W HID upgrade);
    b. Strut tower brace/bar, front stabilizer, front and center underbrace;
    c. No plans on changing the head unit. Will upgrade to Focal speakers (front and rear) and add an amp. Hushmat: floor/firewall, trunk, doors and ceiling.
    d. Wheels (17x7.55) and Tires (215/45R)