1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2023 - no way to silence the speed limit alert?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Tommi Virta, Oct 14, 2023.

1. Tommi Virta

Tommi Virta New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hi! Is there any way, even a hack, to silence the speed limit alert? At least here in Europe, they say that it isn't possible to silence it for good. After each start, the alert gets activated. What a nuisance!

Maxwell61 likes this.
  2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not aware of anything having been found to shut it up permanently. It would have to be a hack, and probably would be an illegal modification.

It's a new EU regulation, that they're following fairly closely to the letter. All new type approvals have to do it, and existing type approvals will need to be modified by 2024.

From reading the law, things they don't have flexibility to relax on:
    * It has to flash, then peep for 3 seconds, then carry on flashing for 5 more seconds.
    * It has to do all that when more than 1 km/h above the limit.
    * The peep and/or flash can be disabled, but both have to be re-enabled at each start-up.
    * When peep is disabled they have to show a warning icon for 10 seconds
    * When both are disabled they have to show a continuous warning icon
    * The only alternatives to the peep are a spoken warning, or actively speed limiting.

Things I think they do have flexibility to relax on:
    * I believe they might be able to have a few percent margin on the speed, rather than going precisely on the indicated speed.
    * They could have the re-enabling dependent on the driver door being opened, so turning off and on without you getting out wouldn't re-enable it.
    * They could have a button to mute any individual alert.
    * They could make it much easier to shut it off on each boot - even a single button press, as long as re-enabling doesn't take more actions.

I gather from reviews that European makes have apparently done a better job at making it easier to shut up just that alert. (Apparently the easy way in the Mazda 3 is that there's a single button press that totally disables all safety systems including that one. Which is a bit extreme.)

I think all the blings come from the main audio system, rather than being another (easier to disconnect?) speaker. In which case, I can imagine there's a bus from the relevant driving systems to the audio head unit that could be disconnected to shut off all audio alerts - the head unit just wouldn't get the information to play the noises. Might break a whole load of other functions though, especially if it's going via a multifunction CAN bus. Next step would be a microcontroller intercepting that bus to filter out just the "make a noise" messages. There's a project for someone...

3. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I shut the speed limit sign off and haven't heard any alert since then.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the European brethren are saying they have an audible alert, and it's impossible to shut off.

If it catches on in North America, gonna save some lives. (y)

5. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Doubtful with our artificially low speed limits in Ontario. Our roads are so boring that you're more likely to have a collision due to boredom (distracted driving or falling asleep) than speeding.

daisy555 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Tooly

Tooly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I remember my old 1989 JDM Land Cruiser BJ74 had a speed buzzer in it. Couldn't figure out what it was for the life of me when going over a certain speed so I had someone drive it while I pin pointed where it was coming from. Back in those days it was just a matter of unplugging it, no dummy lights were triggered. Simpler times.

Diemaster likes this.
  7. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    As much as I really wanted the yellow color only available in the EU and Japan, no way I'd put up with that feature to get the color! Clearly a case of a good concept, but making it way too draconian!

will

8. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The CA version doesn't have that feature thankfully.

nerfer likes this.
  9. flarecde

flarecde Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    That would be nuts here in NY. Max speed limit is, in most places, 55MPH. No one pays attention to it. Try going the speed limit on the Expressway and you will have a impending 5 car pileup trailing you (don't ask how I know).

Like, enforcing speed limits is admirable, if the limits made sense and were designed for modern vehicles and roadways, and not designed as a revenue generator.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Speed limit debates always devolve into this.

Danno5060 likes this.
  11. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Japanese neither - otherwise Toyota would not get away with such a bad implementation. As KMO mentioned - there are quite some ways to implement this much more (EU) consumer friendly.
    As posted before - Toyota could easily improve it but for that people have to 1. complain (likely) and 2. toyota must care (unlikely)

Could you forward me this exact law? Because as far as I know Mercedes is less strict with the threshold but probably I misunderstood.

Maxwell61 likes this.
  12. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Here you go:

EUR-Lex - 32021R1958 - EN - EUR-Lex

AndersOne likes this.
  13. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. So i dont get this part - is another 3% tolerance allowed or not?

14. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @KMO in my italian manual i see the possibility to add a tolerance up to 10 km/h, with some intermediate step, aren't in your car?
    I'm close to get the car, and i'm very concerned of the problem, so many situations for false reading in my country...
    Users have counted 16 clicks to get the RSA disabled, you can't really do it every time you get in the car.
    Probably i would choose to shut off any ADAS if it gets rid of it.
    Or blind the cameras with tape...

15. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that option's there in markets where it's legal - not EU cars.

That's 16 clicks to shut off the beeps by switching "Excess speed notification method" to "Visual". It is quite a few less to disable the Road Sign Assist function altogether. Blinding cameras won't help, as it uses navigation data too.

The best bet IMO would be some sort of disconnect or filter in the multimedia system - I imagine it should be possible to stop the multimedia system getting "make a noise" messages from the main ECU.

Or, actually, something to send the sequence of button presses to disable the system might be more easily achievable.

Having had the car 4 or so months, I have to say I've kind of got used to all the beeping - you just tune it out like any background noise. It mainly discourages you from staying near the speed limit - you tend to commit to being below or firmly above. I don't feel the need to disable it every trip.

It is annoying when you decide after a bit you want to shut it off - you can't get into the submenu to switch to "Visual" while moving, so you just have to go for the full shut-off.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    wait a sec: some regulatory body might be interested in that.

17. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    That feature would be a deal breaker for me. Unnecessary also

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    YES - there IS a very - very secret way ... a hack to silence the alert. Very simple ... very cheep. Anyone can do it with very little effort involved.
    just quit speeding.
    ;)

Tande likes this.
  19. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How does it know what the speed limit is?

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Mamy map/gps programs now contain that kind of info & even where stop signs are located. This info is also used by insurance companies now & if you let them monitor your car travels it'll give you a better discount if you're a good driver