1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 3 better than Prius 2 finally

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gazz, Apr 15, 2010.

1. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my III back in October so have been driving and running in during the winter. My initial impression was that it was going to be hard to match my old Prius 2, but we did have a very cold winter and I suppose you always remember the good days (mpg) and just dismiss the bad ones.

Well during the last few days I have started to beat my trip home from work record and the temperature is still not as hot as it will be. My best prius 2 trip home which is 17 miles of twisty country road driving approximately 40-45mph lots of small hills and slowing and speeding up was 65mpg and I have now got two trips 69 & 70 mpg (US mpg).

Very pleased, so anybody out there it can be done, you just have to get used to the slightly different technique you have to use. Looking for to sum nice hot weather to get the first 5mins better.

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the very encouraging report. Please elaborate on the slightly different technique you have to use.

3. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The main difference is not to run down the battery, there is a temptation to assist a glide too far. Although you have better control and can go further with the engine off don't be to tempted glide to far, only use minimal battery power to assist, if you go close to the 50% you will drag the battery down quick and pay for it on the rest of the journey.

Also when you accelerate go to about 75% - 100% don't, keep out the pwr part but also don't go to slow.

The differences are subtle, when I first got it I though it would be easy to beat the II, I could glide further, had better control, engine got warmer quicker, could glide at hight speeds (good on down hills engine off more), but I struggled. I think the trick is to not over do the electic assist, by all means glide as much as possible but realise when its time to bring the ICE back.

Greenmachine, what type of driving do you do and what are you getting?

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Please fix the mix up with mpg and mph. It is difficult to understand.

1 person likes this.