1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 3 with Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CandyCanePrincess, Aug 1, 2011.

1. CandyCanePrincess

CandyCanePrincess New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,
    I'm looking to purchase a prius 3 w navigation. How much more is the navigation package? I understand it is an optional add-on.
    Also, I'm trying to make sense of the aftermarket installation at places like Best Buy. Is it a cheaper option to install it aftermarket? Do I still need to buy a prius 3 if I'm getting the aftermarket install?
    Is it better to spend a few hundred bucks and have the factory installed system for future warranties?
    Thanks!! I know I have a lot of questions, but I want to be sure I am aware of all my options before making a giant purchase :)

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are a member you can go to www.aaa.com redirect to build a car & get up to 3 dealer quotes.

You aren't going to find any manufacturer selling a NAV option for a few hundred bucks--figure $1500-$2000.

Options run from a small portable unit for a couple hundred up to an in-dash unit that looks like Toyota installed it. There are many threads on this topic. It all comes down to convenience, peace of mind, what you want & what you can afford. Using a Garmin & Toyota's unit I say they are both about equally retarded.

4. CandyCanePrincess

CandyCanePrincess New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ha! and my cell has navigation, so i'm not sure I need it in my car at all. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from you guys here because I get the feelings the dealers don't really know the dets of packages.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pick up a booklet at the dealer. I have the last 6 which make a handy reference.

No, you don't "need" nav in the car. An attached or integrated unit is going to have a larger screen but if the phone works for you go for it.

Treat the dealer like Reagan treated the Russians--trust but verify.