1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 3rd Gen EV mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by EdIris, Feb 7, 2013.

1. EdIris

EdIris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a prius 3? bought in 2011 when Japan was recovering from the tsunami. Not many were available. It is a third Gen vehicle. No GPS,No leather,No moon roof. Still nice though.
    I have not had much sucess in getting the car into EV mode. I did twice out of 50 or more attempts. I wondered wether the regenative braking was at fault as I was bseginning to get about 30 MPG in town where the is a lot more starting and stopping. Highway driving on a long trip has hit 52 MPG. Currently though, Highway has fallen to more like 38 to 40 MPG.
    I had the dealer on its last checkup, run a diagnostic. They said all is fine andI cant use EV for more than 0.5 miles anyway or over 25 MPH. I know about the 25 MPH limit but I thought that the milage limit was over 1 mile.
    Anyway what happens is, 90 percent of the time when I try to go into EV mode I get one of the the following messages.
    EV mode not available. (Usually when the engine is cold.)
    Excessive Acceleration detected (going very slow and easy on the pedal.)
    Excessive speed detected. (anywhere between 5 to 15 MPH).
    I have managed to go about 5 blocks, at 15 to 22 MPH, before the Excessive speed warning came up. The Drive Battery was fully charged each time I tried to go into EV mode. When I went 5 blocks I did not notice any large drop in the battery level.
    Anyone got any Ideas?? The lack of EV mode is not a big thing to me,but I wonder if it is somehow connected to the lower MPG. Ed/Iris

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved from the Prius v forums to the Gen III forums

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Even when not in EV mode, the engine will still shut off as you drive. That's been called "stealth" mode since way back in 2000, long before there was a button. It's the Prius system automatically seeking out efficiency opportunities. That is actually the better use of electricity when driving a Prius without a plug.

The catch is less power is available in stealth. But as a tradeoff, it has a faster upper limit: 46 mph

EV is really only beneficial in the regular Prius in very particular situations. And clearly after so many attempts, they don't match your driving needs. Just let the system shut off the engine on its own. Remember, the engine must generate electricity later to replenish what you use in EV. That can be less efficient overall.

xpcman likes this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let the computer decide. Just drive the car. If you want better mileage put it in ECO mode.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is something wrong with your car. ask the service manager to drive it with you as passenger. show him the messages about too much accelleration etc. you should be getting better mpg's. maybe your 12v is bad. all the best!

southernguy likes this.