1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 4 Extended warranty .... to do ? or not to do ??

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Toreh, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi just got my Prius 4 but they are giving me till monday to decide if i want the extended warranty for an extra $40 a month..... main concern is that i leased it for 36 months and 12,ooo miles knowing i will go over the milage and will end up buying it at the end. They i can be risking the console/unitl with apps and navigation can go bad and cost me thousands..... WHAT SHOULD I DO ? PLEASE HELP I HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION :-(

JMD likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't do it. Save your money. Prius as the highest marks for reliability. Just routine maintenance is all you need for worry free motoring.

3. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks JMD i was concerned cause i have a lease that will run out of warranty sooner than the lease term as know i will go over 36,000 miles in the second year :-(( still you think don't do it ? what about pre-paid maintenance ????

4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You will be OK. The hybrid components are under warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles (150,000 in California). Save your money. Your good without it. Most cars just need routine service.

If you have car insurance with Geico mechanical breakdown insurance is $8 a month.They are ripping you off at $40. You don't need either one. Car is very reliable.

GEICO | Mechanical Breakdown Coverage ~ Protect your new car with MBI

5. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How long have you had yours ? I must say i am a terrible driver :( heavy foot :p and dirve 120 miles round trip to work

6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My car 10 months and 12,000 miles.

So your doing 30,000 miles a year. In 5 years you will have 150,000 miles on the car.

That is when stuff starts to happen but people repair and can get over 200,000 miles.

I would be easy on the car and get all the service done.

In 6-7 years replace the car

7. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you JMD.... they also told me that if i get all my maintenance done at their dealer they will take care of tiers for life... ( replace etc... from wear and tear) what do you think ?

JMD likes this.
  8. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ANY ONE ELSE has suggestion or advice ??? :rolleyes:

9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tires are cheap. About $100 each for good ones low resistance

10. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got the extended warranty. I think it was a mistake. Overall, extended warranties rarely pay off, especially for one of the most reliable cars you can buy.

richard schumacher likes this.
  11. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks bubbatech ;)

12. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:Have you considered a shorter lease period, such as 24 months?

JMD likes this.
  13. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    nooo i wanted a low monthly payment and I negotiated a great deal .... so 24months would make my payments higher.... why do you ask ?

14. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Because of your statement below.
    :confused: With high yearly mileage, and very probable mileage penalty as lease end, are you a good candidate for leasing? If you choose a lease, save the money from the extended warranty and apply it towards any excess mileage.

15. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am going to buy it at the end of the lease..... I wanted the low payments for the next 3 years :rolleyes:

JMD likes this.
  16. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toreh, $40/month for three years is $1440. That's a lot of money for a car that everyone is telling you is very reliable. I would also be very suspicious of an offer of free tires. Why would they promise free tires? Because they charge too much for routine maintenance, and getting you to think that you need to get all routine maintenance done at the dealer is a bonanza for them, that's for sure. Have you worked out the numbers on lease vs purchase? You're worried about a bunch of cost after three years, so I guess be sure you have the money then. You've got low monthly payments now, you'll have to pay for the car eventually.

JMD likes this.
  17. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nora yes i worked the numbers and for my situation right now lease with option to buy is the best thing..... as for the extras It seems to be everyone's opinion not to do it....... SO I WILL NOT but just hope the computer part ( navigation etc... ) does not die on me cause apparently that is the BIG BIG expense ?

18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never had problems with NAV. I had it in my previous car also

The only risk I can see is if you were unemployed at the exact time your lease ended and were trying to buy your car and avoid the huge mileage penalty or just get out of the lease

Even in that scenario you just get a job. I read of people selling the car to Automax to avoid the penalty

If your doing a lease and high mileage sometimes the 84 month fiancé purchase may have a low payment

Your scenario is typical and you should be ok.

It would be wise to have a emergency fund to cover 6 months of bills if you don't already.

19. Toreh

Toreh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    JMD .... yes i need a fiancé...... to pay for the whole thing and then I can drop him :p

JMD likes this.
  20. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    my two cents is save the money and just put it into a slush fund to cover the excess mileage. and add to that fund the money you are saving on gas. dealers sell these insurance policies because they make money on them. the cars are quite well made.