1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 4 tour Tire questions

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Wraiththe, May 7, 2024.

1. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Tire time again. This time I am not finding as much help for Prius tires. and I just missed the 4th free from Toyota. I currently have the Michelin Defender T&H which WERE quieter for the first 10/15K.

Main Question: Wondering what the softer sidewalls do for Mileage? Handling? Bouncing? Shock absorbtion? Better or worse?

Toyota is pushing their General Reliatreks (Soft sidewalls) While the General Altimax RT 45s (you can buy anywhere) have sturdier Sidewalls.

ON a severe budget so I am factoring installation costs (incl balance) Road hazard... Lifetime rotations... Location. (Some places lure you in then gouge with var costs.)

Looking like the

Continental True Contact Tour seems like a good bet.

Genera
    l Altimax RT 45
    's seem like they would be better have thicker sidewalls than reliatrek.
    General Reliatrek Think I had them on my 2010 and they were bouncy all over the road and loud)

NTB's Mavis Traction Control are the best priced deal if their advertising is real.

Too long of a post, but any answers about sidewalls or experience with the tires would be welcome.

2017 Prius 4 - 195/65R15

#1 Wraiththe, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 2004 Prius came with soft sidewall tires. The handling and edge wear were poor until I increase the PSI by 5 to compensate. harder sidewalls often means more rolling resistance and poorer MPG.

JeffD

Wraiththe likes this.
  3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If your looking for tires that'll holdup better over potholes and gravel roads, get the Altimax. They also handle better in the mountains; less give when cornering fast and hard. Downside is a bit rougher ride, but you can air down or air up a bit to compensate.
    If your looking for a tougher tire that'll wear slower, try a higher load rated tire - like a XL. The ride will be a little stiffer but the threads will tend to wear slower since it was designed for a heavier car/SUV.

Wraiththe likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial: last 2 digits should be "15"? Edit window should be ok for about 4~5 hours.

Do you have a Costco membership?

Wraiththe likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have Continental TCT's on our Prius now and they're very comfortable. As nice of a tire as you're going to get.

I've previously had General RT43 tires on small cars and they were similarly quiet and comfortable. (General is Continental's "B" brand)

I haven't tried the RT45 but the talk is that they are about as good as the RT43.

Wraiththe likes this.
  6. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OMG!!! Fat fingered!!! (fixed it!!!)

Yes. Looking at Costo. 5 year road hazard and lifetime rotations.

My Toyota guy: Fournier (long drive) Has great prices, but they do not include rotations.
    He charges 20 for rotations, but if I get an oil change ($60) he only charges $5 for the rotation. so $25 every 10K miles (over 60K miles is another $150 in tire fees but a $20 reduction in oil change fees assuming he priced them including taxes and disposal fees etc.)

Little upset because if I get them at Toyota, I can get the tires rotated for free (and when I get oil changes.)

My scratch sheet needs work... but

upload_2024-5-7_18-33-46.png

I added this to answer a question. I asked:

When it comes to gas mileage, stiffer sidewall tires can indeed have some advantages. Let me explain:

1. Reduced Rolling Resistance: This reduction in sidewall flexing results in less energy consumed, which can contribute to better fuel efficiency1.

2. Heat Generation: Harder sidewalls generate less heat during driving. Since heat contributes to energy loss, stiffer sidewalls help minimize this effect. Consequently, they can improve fuel economy2.
    3. Harder sidewalls are more resistant to punctures and damage, providing better responsiveness and handling
    4. Soft sidewalls offer better comfort, grip, and traction, making them suitable for day-to-day driving.

Ultimately, the choice between soft and hard sidewalls depends on your individual needs and preferences. If you prioritize fuel efficiency, stiffer sidewalls could be a good option. Keep in mind that tire design, tread pattern, and other features also play a role in overall performance and gas mileage.

7. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wish there was some sort of rolling resistance rating number that tires were rated by. The last time I got new tires, I looked, but all I could find were the tread wear ratings. Maybe I'm wrong, but I figured the harder tires would last the longest.

I ended up with some 80,000 mile Pirellis from Sam's club. That's the summer tire. I rotate out to the snow tires for winter.

Wraiththe likes this.
  8. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The BF Goodrich advantage control is/was also a good choice, similar to the Altimax - when I was a field technician doing 40K - 50K miles a year. That was a couple of decades ago. I don't recall ever pulling a nail or screw out of those 3 sets I went though. Let me tell you; emptying a van to get to the spare tire is a work-out - and that's my younger self.....:(:notworthy::sleep::whistle:

I believe Costco has lifetime rotation and balance on their tires too.

#8 BiomedO1, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
    Danno5060 and Merkey like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing I’ve found with Costco, on two occasions, different outlets: they screwed up mounting directional tires. If your purchase is directional, check they did two rights and two lefts, before driving off.

And if you’re not a fan of green valve caps, take your currrent caps off before handing the car (or loose rims) over to them.

Wraiththe and Danno5060 like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rather than show the overall "installed" price, just showing a summation of all the extras might be more helpful. Or an extra column for the extras. Say everything but sales tax. That'd be mount-and-balance, extra charges for TPMS "rebuild", recycle fees, whatever.

11. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, now I cannot remember which included any TMP rebuilds necessary. One of mine goes on the fritz every once in a while.

Mendel Leisk likes this.