1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 5 vs Lexus CTh comparison?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Xaran, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Xaran

Xaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok , Im new to the Prius world and jumped in looking for more mileage over the previous Infiniti (M45 and G 37s) that I used as daily drivers. Im very happy with the Prius that I have a 2010 V, its loaded with all of the options that were available at the time and I get a true 43 -46 mpg with my driving style and daily commute. The Prius averages more than twice the mileage I was getting with my other cars.

But I stumbled on the Lexus Cth and it seems its a Prius with a Lexus styled body and interior. The Lexus is a more conventional body style and seems to be a little better fit and finish on the interior but at a little less MPG. I tested a 2012 Cth with the F sport package over the weekend nd really liked it.

What is everyone else s opinion of them, for the extra $ are they a good high end option to a Prius model 5?

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The back seats are smaller, less cargo capacity, and the lower mpg.

3. ClevelandRocks

ClevelandRocks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wanted to buy the Lexus but when I tried it, it was just too small and not that impressive inside. I'm not a large guy either, i.e., 5'7". Much prefer my Prius and get 50-60 mpg so after 7 months I'm happy I didn't get the Lexus.

4. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think Lexus missed the boat on this one. I like the thought of a more luxurious Prius. But, like others mentioned, it was too small for my needs. My ideal Lexus hybrid:
    1) Interior space similar to Prius base
    2) Lexus finish quality and quietness
    3) MPG close to Prius, but with some sacrifice for performance. I'm thinking the 2.5L motor from the Camry Hybrid would make a pretty fun ride

WE0H and ClevelandRocks like this.
  5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Front seats are freaking awesome wonderful.
    Cargo and interior room obviously smaller, but that may not be a problem for some people. Wife felt cramped, I was ok with it.
    Ride is slightly better.
    Handling is much more precise, even compared to 5 with 17 inch wheels.
    The tech is the same as or too much like Prius, i.e., old news.
    Some aspects of interior are better. I'm not as thrilled with the exterior as some folks, but do love those upgrade fsport wheels.
    Do to short trip driving, I'm pretty sure my mileage would be about the same as my Prius 5.
    Bottom line, not quite enough improvement in ride or luxury to make me want to jump.
    I have high hopes for the RAV 4 based lexus suv expected next year.

6. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had gen II and III Pri and went to a CT. Like many have already said, it is too small...rear seat and cargo area. I am 5'9 and when I adjusted the seat, nobody could sit behind me. The fit and finish of the interior was better, front seat was comfortable, handling was better. But, in the end I traded it in and got back in a Prius. I haven't looked back. It just depends on what you are looking for. Test drive it and see if it is for you.

7. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I test drove both a Prius and the CT200H and have to agree with everyone else.

The cabin is quieter and engine noise is much lower in the CT. It handles very well and you feel much more centered especially during cornering. The ride is stiffer and will probably be less comfortable over long drives than the Prius.

Cabin size is smaller than the Prius, I liken it to a coupe rather than a 4 door. Plenty of room if you're just driving yourself and maybe 1 passenger but sticking people in the back can get kinda stuffy unless it is kids or us vertically challenged folk. Cargo space is also pretty limited from what I saw (and after checking out vehicle specs it's a lot smaller, Prius offering 21.6 cu.ft while the CT offers 14.3 cu.ft.). In terms of interior/exterior aesthetics it's really a personal call so I won't put my two cents in regarding that.

Also one thing that really stuck out in my mind is that the BASE Lexus is almost exactly the same price as a Prius 5, while the Prius offers better fuel economy (the engine in the CT is the same one in the Prius) with the same 0-60 performance (I am seeing websites reporting 9.7 seconds 0-60 for both cars). If the lofty ride really bugs you, you can always go with the lowering springs and/or the sway bar which will bring you closer (although not exactly) to what you can experience in the CT, while still saving you money.

I ended up going for the Prius because of the following reasons:

1. Prius is cheaper, and also gets better fuel economy.
    2. Prius has much more cargo room, and more passenger room.
    3. Prius has a much more vibrant online community (hi everyone!)
    4. Features vs Price, Prius comes out on top.
    5. A couple of factory installed options for altering the handling of your car (and a few non-factory ones such as tower struts, lowering springs, etc) if you get bored with the riding on air feeling you get from the Prius.
    6. More comfortable ride

The things going for the Lexus,

1. Exterior and interior styling
    2. Being able to say "I have a Lexus"
    3. Base handling
    4. Cabin quietness

To me the Prius won hands down. Hopefully this helps but in the end, GET WHAT YOU WANT. This will be your car. When I see a CT200H on the road I don't sigh wistfully as it drives by (or I drive by it).

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Xaran, keep in mind you have pretty crummy tires with regards to fuel economy. They are cheap. :)

If you drive the CT the way you drive your Prius the fuel economy will be even lower.

9. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    My brother has a Gen III, so I'm familiar with the liftback. My wife drives our C, so the logical choice for me would be a Gen III. At the time I was looking, Toyota had 0% financing for the liftback while Lexus was offering 1.9%. With more room (real), better fuel economy (on paper), better financing terms (real) and a lower cost (real), the logical choice would be for me to buy a Prius Liftback.

But after test driving the Prius that I was to buy, I just couldn't do it. Sure, a Wheelskin cover will get me a leather wrapped steering wheel, and Softex is very likely the same as Nuluxe. Suspension upgrades can be had for a modest price, and since I do all of my own installs, labor really doesn't figure into it. I might be so bold as to add that the base CT sound system didn't sound as good as the higher trim liftback.

Still... I am a single occupant commuter. My kids are ages 5 and 3, so space is not a problem if/when I need to drive the family around. I don't carry items in the trunk. Besides, I have access to an Expedition for our family trips that include grandma(s) and one grandpa.

After apologizing to the Toyota salesperson (who did a good job trying to earn the sale), I left and bought the CT. IMO, the CT looks more car-like than the Prius. The CT doesn't have that weird console with the storage under the shifter (still can't get over that... looks like a design after-thought). The CT is quieter and the double wishbone handles better than my brother's modded Prius (w/ upgraded swaybars, springs and shocks). Even thought the view through the back hatch of the CT is smaller than that of the Prius, I also disliked the way the view is interrupted by the horizontal beam with the 3rd brake light on the Prius.

I just like CT better. And, with a 90% freeway commute, my best out of 9 fill-ups was at 52.7mpg (averaging around 48mpg).

I'd say test drive both and see which you like better.

Even if you change your mind, you can always make a trade at a later time.

10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I said before how much more comfortable the front seats are, but I should have added that the combination of the wrap around seats and the lowered center of gravity results in a feeling of being absolutely planted in the CT, rather than being flung around as in the Prius. I would take a CT any day over the Prius on a long highway jaunt. The ride is as stiff/bouncey as the Prius, but with a tad more cushion, and the seat will keep you far more comfortable.

However, noone has yet mentioned that the CT also feels slightly underpowered (a complaint echoed in almost every professional review).

11. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

But, as a former owner of some pretty quick cars (Stage IV WRX, EVO IX), I can honestly say that I didn't by a Hybrid for power.

Selzier likes this.
  12. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree that the CT gives you a more planted feel. More than once I've had a big truck or pickup blow by me and it feels like I'm being pushed over. I still stand by my argument that gentle curves, and a nice smooth road, I feel that the Prius almost seems like it's not really on the ground (more than once my girlfriend has knocked out dead cold during our longer drives where she normally gets pretty motion sick in a regular car). It might be personal taste but I enjoy that feeling.

I also agree that the CT is more than slightly underpowered. One of these days I feel like I'm going to state an assumption I have and have it totally ripped to shreds haha but I'm not quite sure how you go from the Prius' 50mpg combined to the CT 40mpg combined yet have almost the exact same recorded 0-60 times (with similar curb weights, same exact engine). I know the drag is greater on the CT due to it having a more severe drop in the back, but still I feel that if you're going to take away 20% of the Prius' mileage there should be some give in the power department as well.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you put a set of 17s on the Prius the mpg gap between the CT and Prius closes a little more. Acceleration is slower as well which puts the Prius in line with the CT. Someday I want to see a CT on 15s with Energy Saver A/S tires. :)

14. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You know I had a sneaking suspicion this was probably a large factor. I do know that there are alloy/aluminum 17s rims out there that are as light if not lighter than the stock Prius 15s, and that you can still opt for a tire size similar to what is on the stock Prius 15s to offset this. I'm guessing the rims on the CT are heavier than the stock Prius.

It makes me wonder, though, because the Prius 5 comes with 17 inch alloys (I'll admit they don't look as nice as the CT rims) yet it's still rated at the same mpg ratings that the other Prius levels with the 15's are rated. I guess Lexus wanted a better looking wheel though?

Ah the sacrifices you make for style! If I ever switch to 16 or 17's I'm going to make sure the tire size stays close and the rims weigh similar to my stock ones as well.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The CT200h 17s and the Prius Five 17s weight approx. the same amount. The biggest difference is tire design and construction. The Prius Five comes with tires that place a HIGH emphasis on fuel economy to the detriment of just about every other performance criteria. The CT200h comes with well balanced tires that do just about everything well but take a high in fuel economy as a result. Whenever someone with a Five puts on new tires that are not OE, they suffer a long term fuel economy hit but everything else gets better. Regardless, the 17s always induce a mpg penalty. I tried a set of lightweight 17s (15lbs) but the hit was basically the same vs. heavier (24lb) CT wheels even using the same model tire. I don't feel weight plays a huge role in FE unless all you do is stop and go driving. The tire design and wheel offset play a larger role I think.

Pete44 and Selzier like this.
  16. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ahh... that sums it all up very nicely for me.

Thanks! I always love how much I'm learning from this community. Hopefully I don't come off too dumb while I'm still a newb!

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't sound stupid. This stuff is confusing and requires a lot of research before it starts making sense. :)

Codyroo likes this.
  18. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Selzier,

You should check out the tire thread going on in the fuel economy section. F8L has been a one man wrecking crew over there in checking out rims, tire sizes, tire brands, tire pressures, etc. He's done a lot of research to get facts to provide answers for questions like yours. He does this site proud!

F8L likes this.
  19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't go churching me up now. :p

20. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was reading on that thread for a LONG time and I have to admit a huge amount of it went over my head. I was thinking of going back in when I actually wear out my stock wheels and start looking into replacing them. Maybe by then I'd have more knowledge to figure it all out!

I'll probably also dedicate more focus and research to it when the time comes near as well. All in all I know when I see F8L post somewhere I make sure to pay special attention :)

Codyroo likes this.