1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius A, B, and C to Debut in 2009, 2010, and 2011

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hb06, May 7, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "...three new hybrid Toyotas--known internally as Prius A, B, and C--are expected to debut in 2009, 2010, and 2011."

"According to a source at the company, all future Toyota hybrids will bear the Prius nameplate. The three letters denote the three vehicle sizes--smaller than the current Prius, roughly the same size as today's Prius, and bigger than the Prius. All three will be uniquely styled and will bear no resemblance to conventional Toyotas. (This effectively means that after its current model cycle, the Camry Hybrid will cease to exist.)"

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news...toyota_hybrids/

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm... hope they can come up with something more original that "Prius A" "Prius B", etc...

I kind of wish they'd keep the Prius unique as the leading edge technology/test car, but as long as it plugs in and goes pretty far on that plug-in I'll be happy.

3. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I see nothing unconventional or impractical about the current interior. What are they talking about? There's so little wasted space I had a hard time figuring out where to mount a fire extinguisher! And a hatchback with fold-down rear seats is practically a full-size van in disguise. ;)

4. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well this information seems to validate the rumors that the prius will become a 'brand' of car in the future like the Scion was...although not dropping the toyota name obviously. Interesting, but I would still love to see a version like the hybrid X!!!!

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 7 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]437230[/snapback]</div>
    Prius A = 2009
    Prius B = 2010
    Prius C = 2011
    . . .
    Hybrid X = 2032

:lol:

6. techman01

techman01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 7 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]437250[/snapback]</div>

The article says the design wont be as controversial and will be more mainstream, though not completely. I like the unique design that makes it stand out!

Don't ruin it!

7. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(techman @ May 7 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]437262[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. I don't want a boring "normal" vehicle. I like the Prius' unique style and features. Besides, the current design is quite functional and practical. It's not form over function.

8. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't believe this article. Toyota have been trumpeting for ages that HSD can (and will eventually) be put into any vehicle in their lineup as an option.

9. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 7 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]437250[/snapback]</div>
    Fixed it for you.

Harry

10. fan-atic

fan-atic New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clett @ May 8 2007, 04:11 AM) [snapback]437371[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota only changes it's designs once every five years. So they will not offer a hybrid version immediately for every model. They may never offer a hybrid version of the Corolla since their sizes are so close to each other. Also, if the model sales are below 100,000 they won't offer a hybrid.

11. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not sure I trust the article or that it would make sense for toyota to have a separate "prius" brand. If so why would they strive to make the HSD half the current size so to make it easier to fit into any car? If you build hybrid from ground up then size of the HSD is not the main concern as the current size is more then doable for the prius.

I guess Toyota is trying to "cloud" the market with different leaks.

/Robert

12. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is not the first time the concept of a Prius family of vehicles has been explored by Toyota:

Toyota Considers a Prius Product Family

"The Prius brand name is gaining so much cachet with consumers that Toyota is considering launching an entire family of Prius models in different body styles, according to Jim Press, president of Toyota Motor North America."

"Having the Prius brand attached might help sell hybrids in other body styles better than giving those cars their own names..."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=118769

13. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 8 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]437494[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if Toyota corporate is doing this, but the source of the article is a leak from inside, picked up by a journalist who's not exactly enamored with hybrids anyway ("demand is down", unpractical interior, etc.), so I think the message got a little mixed up by the time it got to us. I don't think Toyota is giving up their original stated goal of a hybrid in every line of vehicles, this is just an expansion of the Prius line. That's my opinion anyway. Take this with a grain of salt.

14. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 7 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]437250[/snapback]</div>
    Estima = 2050

15. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe Toyota will offer its basic hybrid drive system from the Japanese-market Vitz with a small lithium battery that allows engine stop/idle technology similar to Honda's hybrid system. Although not referred to as a hybrid the "intelligent" package offers increased economy and an inexpensive stop/start system without the full EV benefits of HSD. I think it would be a great way to improve fleet economy without much expense (what GM is doing now with Saturn Vue/Aura 'hybrids.') They could offer it in the Yaris, Corolla, Scions, and Matrix, while saving full HSD for Camry, Higlander, RAV4, Sienna, and then transform the Prius brand into a line of ultra futuristic and ultra efficient PHEVs and EVs. Everybody wins! Do it!!!

16. Zooey

Zooey New Member

I saw the tail end of a new(?) Prius ad on TV last night during prime time. Basically, the ad showed several views of a Prius, including an ad with all four doors opened to reveal the people sitting inside. Is it an optical illusion, or does the ad show a new body style of Prius? It seemed slightly longer and sleeker than the current body style. Yeah, I checked the aspect ratio on my widescreen TV. ;)

I'll see if the ad comes on again tonight.

17. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Number 1 and number 2 :)

-

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing about the article that struck me as odd is the fact they were bold enough to make the claim that the TCH will only have one life cycle and that it would be dead after this generation (which is to say 5 years).

The Camry has grown to be a very large midsize car (could be bordering full-size). The Prius C they state, is slightly smaller than the Camry which makes me think it might be the size of an Avensis or TSX. A "normal" midsize so to speak.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    having a new branded lineup for the Prius i completely expected. limiting it to just sedans is a surprise and a mistake imm. where is the van and the truck?? (SUV's i can live without) maybe the three sedans is just a start with a other model types to follow...

20. Family Hybrid

Family Hybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 8 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]438025[/snapback]</div>
    I talked to someone from Toyota yesterday that from what he knew there will be a Prius A, B, & C (small, medium, and large).