1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius accident + container question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mat, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Mat

Mat New Member

Not 5000 miles on it and its already been smashed up, my new '04 Silver. :(

Anyhow, i was wondering if anyone knew what the big white plastic container I pulled out of the front fender area is for. Seems to be about 1.5 gallons, couldn't really smell anything from it. It seemed like it was dry and empty prior to the accident, but I can't be sure. Is it unsafe for me to be driving with this part removed? It was dangling out so I just pulled it all the way out and put in the trunk.

Any ideas? Also, has anyone had any work done up front here? Is there anything I should be picky about in choosing a body repair site? Anything specific to tell them or look for? I've never been an accident, and now my first new car, I get screwed.

On another note, do I have to pay for the deductible even if it wasn't my fault? How about if the other driver had insurance, but no license (don't ask me how that is possible)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Mat

2. jasond

jasond New Member

If it's just body work, I'd think any reasonable body shop should be fine. But if there's a big white container sitting in your trunk, then it sounds like there was engine damage, so start with your Toyota dealership.

As for insurance, there's no deductible, typically, if it's not your fault. The other guy's insurance pays the whole thing. File quickly with your company, and they'll work it out with the other company. When my pre-Prius (Ford Focus) was totalled back in October, I got a call from the at-fault insurance company rep that same night. They'll want to inspect the car before anything's done, I'm sure, and they'll probably try to get you to have it repaired at an "affiliated" shop, which shouldn't be manditory but might be easier. In my case, the car was totalled, my company sent me a check, and then they billed the other company for the amount. Both companies will probably make "offers" for how much they'll pay to fix it, and you can choose.

If the guy didn't have a license, I probably would've called the cops to make sure someone was on the scene. For all you know, he was driving a stolen car and you'll never see him again. And when the other guy is cited for a violation as part of the accident, it makes it that much more likely that you'll be considered the victim instead of at fault.

Good luck!

3. Mat

Mat New Member

Thanks for the advice. The police were definitely on the scene (the other driver's passenger was taken away by paramedics, hopefully she is ok).

I just now contacted the at-fault insurance company, waiting for their adjuster to contact me. (My adjuster just told me to file a claim with the other company first).

Salsa red, eh? I'm a little jealous. I went with the silver because only silver and gold were on the lot, and didn't want to deal with the months it sounds people are waiting.

Take care,
    Mat

4. jasond

jasond New Member

ON THE LOT??? Wow. Never heard of THAT happening.

I actually ordered a different color (well, three different colors), but then this red one was passed up by the people who ordered it, and I was at the dealership about 2 hours after I got the call :). I'm very happy with the color.. nothing like the website and brochure swatches make it look.

5. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Mat,
    Sorry about your car. Hopefully it can be fixed back good as new. Please keep us posted about how it goes at the dealership and cost of repairs.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mat,
    I've been trying to figure out what the container might be. I think you really need to post a photo of this thing. I can't find anything anywhere behind the fender that could hold a container that large and there is nothing visible OTHER THAN the washer fluid container...it's not that, is it? There's a white coolant container, but it's much smaller than the washer fluid and definately wouldn't hold 1.5 gallons.

Can you post a photo?

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm sorry to hear about your car. Hope you get squared away with the insurance. A coworker spent 3 years and 19k restoring a mid-70's BMW to exacting standards. Two days after he finished, his car was totalled by a guy driving a VW squareback, VW driver's fault. His initial reaction was that he would be screwed because the at fault guy probably didn't have insurance. As it turned out, he had excellent insurance and the at-fault driver's insurance company spend several weeks researching the restoration and gave my coworker the full amount of the restoration costs. There are good companies out there and hopefully, you'll come out ok.

Also amazing, but it looks like the lights survived the impact. Maybe these units are sturdier than they look. Are these HID lights?
    I second the request that you keep us posted about how the repairs went. I'm concnerned that the scarcity of Prii will make getting repairs on them much more difficult.
    Bob

8. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I believe that I read somewhere that those containers that you noticed are for engine coolant and help keep the engine warm. Since the ICE is subject to so many cycles of turning off and on again, the warm coolant works as a warming agent to the engine and also helps with the emission controls.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Randall, I think you're mistaking that for the 'thermos' that keeps the coolant warm...it would not be a cheap plastic container. it's a sealed system and it is found on the driver's side behind the electric motor.

10. Mat

Mat New Member

I took a photo of the gallon container which I'm curious about. Anyone know? And more importantly, is it bad for me to be driving without it?

Still awaiting insurance information before I can start repairs, I will keep the board posted on costs and quirks associated.

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like the Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir to me.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, washer fluid bottle....turn your 180 degrees, see the spot for the attachment bolt?

13. Mat

Mat New Member

OK great, so this is just a spare washer fluid tank? I guess that would explain its apparent dryness prior to the accident.

14. laceyandiris

laceyandiris New Member

mat, look at Brown brothers body shop on erwin road where it crosses I-40 for a bid. Good reputation.

15. Mat

Mat New Member

Thanks for the tip! Are you in the area as well?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The old one is still in there? I don't know why there'd be an extra one....and the design, on closer look, seems a bit different--taller spout on top of yours. Maybe it isn't the washer bottle. Weird.

17. Mat

Mat New Member

Yeah, i was closely checking out the two pictures and they do seem slightly different. I can't figure it out. Perhaps I'll take a picture of my insides and post that.
    Also, I can still use my windshield wiper fluid, unless it is just coming from leftover stuff still in the hose.

Sigh, I just want to drop the durn thing off at a repair shop and get on with the fixins.

FYI, i took the two pictures with my Nokia 3650 phone, one of the only two bluetooth models that were supported in my area. Nothin to write home about, but not a bad little camera for being inside a phone.

18. fran54

fran54 New Member

Mat, I'm so sorry to hear about your silver getting hit. But, if you can make it to Oklahoma City ...
    I had my 2004 for about a week when I heard from the local Electric Vehicle Technology Center -- wanting to borrow my car for an evening. I took it over and sat in on a class for body shop repair people. The EVTC guy showed them what the 2004 was like, what to watch for when repairing, how to keep from snipping into the orange cables, etc. And took photos to put in his slide show he takes around to fire departments, so the EMTs know how to recognize a hybrid in a wrecked state. I learned a lot, too, and the body shop guys were really intent on learning all they could.

19. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Sorry to take this long to find out but just learned today that it's the intake resonator and if I understand correctly it connects to the air cleaner induction pipe to alter the sound of the intake system under full throttle. Apparently a lot of 2003 Toyota's have it. Corolla's and Camray's etc. I looked at the one on the 2K4 and asked the body man what it was, and that's the answer he gave me.

20. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yup, that's it alright! According to the manual it reduces the sound of the air-intake noise.