1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius acting up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by marjflowers, May 22, 2006.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. A couple of times when I pushed the power button to turn my Prius off, the car stopped, but the radio stayed on.

2. I pushed the power buttonand put it in reverse, and the back-up camera display didn't come on.

3. (And this one really freaked me out) My car was parked in a busy parking lot, and when I put it in reverse, everything was fine. BUT when I put it in drive, the red triangle with the exclamation mark started flashing and the beeper started beeping, and I got an error message something to the effect that when parking I should take it out of neutral, because the battery wouldn't charge in neutral. I wasn't parked, and I wasn't in neutral -- I had it in drive. I tried pulling back into the parking space and starting all over, but it kept doing it. I turned it off and started again, and still I got the same warning. Finally I drove to my sister's with the warning beeping and flashing. When I got there, I turned it off and started it again, and it was fine. It hasn't done that since Saturday morning.

4. A friend reported this one -- he said when he got in to start the car, nothing happened until he fastened the seatbelt. It wouldn't start. I almost always fasten my seat belt first, so I've never noticed this one.

After 5 months of problem-free driving, all of these things happened in the same ill-fated weekend. I know I should have stayed home!

Peace --

Marjorie.

2. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ May 22 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]259147[/snapback]</div>
    The message that the battery wouldn't charge in neutral was most likely caused by the driver's door being ajar...maybe you got out at your sister's home and shut the door completely before trying it again? I can't explain why the error message comes up how it does when the driver's door is open, but it's nothing to worry about.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost certainly operator error :-> After a while one can get careless; also, once one has developed unconscious reflexes for simple routine operations, anything which interrupts the reflexive sequence causes mistakes.

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ May 22 2006, 05:42 AM) [snapback]259147[/snapback]</div>
    This has happened to me. I think it happens when you push 'Power' WITHOUT putting your foot on the brake pedal and then try to put it in 'D'.

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ May 22 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]259147[/snapback]</div>
    This happened to me the first week I had my car. I got the warning but it let me actually drive the car! I pulled back into my parking spot, powered down my Prius and got set to go back inside to call for a tow. But then I decided to try it again. This time it worked perfectly.

I read another post that said if you have a door ajar, you get the 'triangle of death' and some kind of warning message. So perhaps my driver's door was aja - and getting back into the car I shut it properly before poweing the car back up.