1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Air Conditiner Management

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dagerlach, Jun 20, 2006.

1. dagerlach

dagerlach New Member

Does anyone know if the air conditioner compressor is cycled relative to the temperature selected at the AC Control or does the air conditioner use a ‘mixing box’ that just cycles the AC compressor at a preset temperature and mixes warm air from the engine coolant system to achieve the selected cabin temperature?

I am wondering if selecting a comfortable temperature will work just as well as manually turning the compressor on and off at the appropriate times to minimize engine and battery loads. For example, descend hills running the AC, or parked at a stoplight, and accelerate w/ the AC off.

Thanks!!

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The compressor is a variable-speed synchronous motor, so it doesn't
    really "cycle" in the classic sense. Thus, as cabin temp starts
    reaching what you asked for, it can gradually draw less power.
    _H*

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let me tell you that I was impressed with the Prius air conditioning system right off the bat. Working for a building controls engineering company, I immediately related with what the Prius was thinking. There are some differences in the details between building controls and car A/C systems, but the basics are pretty much the same.

Basically, it works like this: if the interior of the car is hot and you want it cold, the fan and compressors come on full-bore. On the other hand, if it's cool in the car and you want it slightly cooler, then they all come on slightly. As the temperature in the car reaches the desired setpoint, Prius recognises that it's getting closer and adjusts the compressor and fan accordingly. In that way, it eases into the proper temperature rather than running the fan all-out and then suddenly stopping (which is what most residential air conditioners do).

In an over-simplistic way of thinking of it, think of the fan speed as the proportional difference between SETPOINT and CUR-TEMP. For example:
    SETPOINT=65º and CUR-TEMP=90º creates a high proportional difference resulting in a high fan speed.
    SETPOINT=65º and CUR-TEMP=70º creates a lower proportional difference resulting in lower fan speed.
    The Prius most likely recalculates several times per second (I'm guessing)

Secondly, you might notice that the vents blowing the air change. Rather than blowing a bunch of air out of the dashboard vents and straight into your face, Prius will adjust so the air is coming out of the windshield vents and at your feet. As the airflow rate decreases, Prius will reroute the air to the vents. This is very smart since the sensation of comfort is a combination of temperature and air movement. Doing this, Prius can keep you comfortable simply by moving air, chilling it a little less and using less energy.

Just like the variable transmission, you can think of the A/C as a variable system. Basically, if allowed to do it's thing without human interferance, it will work extremely efficiently.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony, that is by far the best explaination about A/C logic and operation ever posted here.

5. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am also quite impressed with the system in our new Prius. Automatic AC is a blessing in this car - it works without huge drains on the FE. If you want to preserve more energy for motive force, just adjust your setpoint higher! Our car is getting great FE with AC set 72-74 most of the time. If you can tolerate 78 (or higher), do it! I look at the AC like I do the cruise control... The car tends to know how to control itself better that we do.

Alternatively - you can do what this "extreme" Honda Civic Hybrid owner does (from GreenHybrid):

Not making this up... http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/keeping...149.html?page=1

I say you're making a solid conservation effort by having the hybrid in the first place, is 1-2MPG (if that) worth being comfy and arriving to work not being a sweaty mess? Probably.

6. mattleb

mattleb Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 20 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]274303[/snapback]</div>
    Just out of curiosity, does this description also apply to the Classic Prius? Since the engine needs to run to keep the AC going in my classic I have acquired the habit of turning off the AC at lights and then turning it back on once moving to keep the engine from turning on and off frequently. In theory it doesn’t hurt the engine to do that but I still don’t like to have it turning on and off at lights just to keep me cool. (I live in Seattle so it’s not THAT hot…)

7. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After reading this, I'm going to enjoy my fully automatic climate control even more. Really, what does this guy think he's saving by going to this extreme?

Let's say you get 50 MPG without A/C, okay?. Now, let's say the economy hit using A/C is even a full 10% or 5 MPG, so now you're getting 45 MPG. I think that even this is an extreme example, I don't honestly think the hit is anywhere near that large, just using it for argument's sake and to prove my point. Over the period of driving 5,000 miles, that would be an economy loss of 500 miles, or approximately one extra fill up for every 10 you would have made otherwise. I do nearly 30K miles a year myself. I use A/C about 1/3 of the year here, so that's 10,000. So, using A/C would cost me an extra 2 full tanks of gas or about $60 in this obviously way overstated example. So now, is it worth $60 a year for my personal comfort on those hot 10,000 miles or approximately 222 HOURS using an overall an average of 45 MPH? Damn right it is!!!

8. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jun 21 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]275010[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a price comparison to your $60:

Coleman Quart Blue Take 6 Cooler (also comes in red): $8.99
    Bag of Ice: $1.99
    Splash of Water from Neighbors Hose: $0.00
    Small cloth: $0.50
    Swabbing yourself: priceless

:)

9. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jun 21 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]275015[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found that giving a little more charge to my airconditioner made it run cooler, but I have never done it to the prius.

Has anyone charged thier own system before to add more?

11. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

In early experimentation, I tried 'auto' a/c and got the idea I was going to suffer decent mpg penalties. I then went to manual intervention and seemingly notice little or undetectable impact on mpg.

I set the fan on low or the next one up, and I turn on the A/C (not auto, but the lower left AC button). I usually have the temp on 'low'. If I still need a/c and low fan is giving more than I want, I'll bring it up to 68 or 70.

I keep the air location set to feet - vent.

This seemingly doesn't impact much... my 5 minute bars are typical, my overall mpg seemingly hangs in there... I guess I need to run a week on auto and see if the overall impact on the tank is noticeable.

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jun 22 2006, 01:01 AM) [snapback]275145[/snapback]</div>

Wow..nice manual....

If no one has ever told you Ken... its nice having your input from the other side of the big Pond.

You always seem to be privy to info not easily assessible.

And also a different viewpoint than the trend.

I consider you a valuable asset to PC.

thanks for your input in all your posts!

14. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The following may be Priceless, but it is also IDIOTIC.......

If you drove 15,000 miles per year, and used your AC for the entire time, and it affected your mileage by 2MPG (most probable), at $3.00 per gal your additional annual fuel cost would be $37.50.

If you mileage was affected by 5mpg (not very likely) your additional annual fuel cost would be $99.00

Now in all probabilty, you would use your AC only for a maximum of half the time so the numbers above would be half......

So in conclusion...for for under $20.00 per year you could be very comfy using your AC...Your bags of ice will cost you more than that each month.

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? DUHHHHH

Here is a price comparison to your $60:

Coleman Quart Blue Take 6 Cooler (also comes in red): $8.99
    Bag of Ice: $1.99
    Splash of Water from Neighbors Hose: $0.00
    Small cloth: $0.50
    Swabbing yourself: priceless

:)
    [/quote]

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Believe it or not, the guy who's using the ice to cool his car is really dead-on accurate and not insane at all. There are many large companies with large cooling requirements that use a strategy known as "Ice Storage" for cooling. And it works exactly the way he says it does but on a considerably grander scale.

Basically, since large installations are charged per kWh and since electricity is cheaper at night, they literally freeze vast amounts of water overnight and store it. Then they use the evaporative properties of the melting ice to pull heat from water pipes and chill the water inside (just like you do with ice in a cooler). That chilled water is passed through the air ducts where the cold water and pipes pull the heat and humidity from the air thus creating cold air to come out of the vents. So: ice chills water, water chills air, air chills occupants. That way, all their electrical expenses come at night during the cheap rates.

I am always amazed at how the same principals can be applied across multiple platforms.

16. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 22 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]275326[/snapback]</div>
    Help me make the leap from cooling this skyscraper to applying it in the prius with a cooler full of ice... Do you get cheaper gas if you fill up at 3am?

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ice Chest man is nuts. One accident caused by the distraction of his screwing around with that portable swamp cooler will exceed his fuel savings by orders of magnitude. Does he also cook road kill on his exhaust manifold, I wonder? Sheesh.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mattleb @ Jun 21 2006, 06:39 PM) [snapback]274998[/snapback]</div>
    The classic Prius is somewhat different. The compressor is driven by an engine pulley belt, not a dedicated electric motor. Whenever its clutch is engaged, the compressor speed is totally controlled by engine speed.

There is little need for you to shut off the A/C at traffic lights. It will not cause the gas engine to run more (or maybe only a little tiny bit). However if you also push the 'max A/C' button, that will make the gas engine run 'as much as needed' to maintain the cabin temperature that you have selected. That is where the mpgs begin to drop.

19. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 22 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]275458[/snapback]</div>
    I have been turning my new prius a/c off after short periods, but am still only averaging 38 mpg.. I only have 300 miles on the car, but what am I doing wrong? I was hoping for at least 44.

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 22 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]275416[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was 105F today and will be 109F tomorrow our road kill is already cooked when we pick it up! :p

Wildkow

p.s. I keep my temp set at 80F and have seen as much as 4 mpg dif playing with the AC. The Valley is pretty flat in these parts so I think it is pretty accurate reading. Just ordered the front sun shield from the online store and seriously thinking of getting the windows tinted.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brighamwj @ Jun 22 2006, 09:13 PM) [snapback]275638[/snapback]</div>
    Patience with some more breakin miles on the ODO and a little more experience you will get 44+.