1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Prius (and all Toyota vehicles) & the Kobe Steel Revelations

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Vertigo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not wanting to raise any alarms where not warranted, but, just as an FYI ...

Yesterday, it was publicly announced that Kobe Steel falsified QA inspection results for aluminum and copper that they produced.

Of particular relevance to Toyota (taken from yesterday's NY Times article on the Kobe Steel situation):

Kobe Steel said on Sunday that employees at four of its factories had altered inspection certificates on aluminum and copper products from September 2016 to August this year. The changes, it said, made it look as if the products met manufacturing specifications required by customers — including for vital qualities like tensile strength, a measure of stiffness — when they did not.

All of Japan’s major carmakers — Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota — are looking into their use of Kobe Steel materials. Toyota called the data falsification a “grave issue” and said it was looking into the problem and considering how best to respond, a statement echoed by other carmakers.

Questions that come to mind:
    • Is Toyota's supply chain traceable at an individual vehicle level of granularity? Or production lot? Or factory?
    • What components of the Prius Prime (or Prius, in general) are crafted from aluminum? Body? Frame? Suspension? Drive train? Other?

At this point, it's not clear what - if any - problems have been introduced into recently produced Primes (or other Toyota vehicles), but it's worth keeping eyes/ears open to see what may come of this.

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is any problems will be found with crash tests

3. Vertigo

Vertigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's (a big) part of any potential issues which might be discovered. But, there are also potential issues not related to a catastrophic event. E.g., questions of longevity of frame/suspension parts relative to what they were spec'ed for.

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, lets hope that chain is not made of Kobe Steel.

hill and Vertigo like this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be VERY surprised if they could not trace the steel back to the individual coil that came into their factory. I made aluminum beverage cans for 22 years. We could use the little code number on the side of the can and find out what line it came off of, which shift, and which day. That would let us get very close to the specific aluminum coil that can came from. And we were making a couple thousand cans a minute.

Tracksyde likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have no doubt they have records tracing back to specific lots. So the potential parts:
    • steel - body, suspension, gears, rotor, steel wheels
    • aluminum - engine, transaxle blocks, alloy wheels
    • copper - wiring and stators
    Bob Wilson

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only if vehicles withing that materials date range were tested. Also, it may be that only certain material batches would have failed. No real way to tell without the correct documentation. Much of the testing is destructive in nature.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Copper would be the most troubling to us if it impacted the motors.

9. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the hood and hatch are also aluminum? Steel isn't currently a potential issue, unless they find documentation issues with it also, Kobe said it is currently investigating other possible falsification incidents going back as long ago as ten years :eek:

Hard to imagine how potentially bad a situation this could be, as it could potentially effect everything from cars to airplanes, it depends on what they find, how many batches are affected, how far out of tolerance. If it turns out that there were batches that are potentially unsafe, then this could mean massive recalls. Even then the scope could go a lot of different directions because for example presumably there are different aluminum alloys used for engines, as opposed to wheels, as opposed to hoods etc. so in theory using just Toyota as an example there could be certain VIN numbers that would need a new hood for example (best case scenario I guess) but maybe some VIN numbers would need a new engine and transmission? What if a month's worth of cars have to be recalled for new engines? And I won't even think about airplanes, although I can only hope that aluminum used in critical structures like the wings the airplane manufacturers also do their own quality testing. Otherwise entire airplanes have to go back to Seattle for example to get replacement wings and/or fuselage components?

Hopefully this turns out to be much less serious or the scope turns out to be relatively small, but we don't know yet.

#7 Since2002, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Vertigo likes this.
  10. Vertigo

Vertigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I sent a brief email to Toyota USA yesterday on this topic - not with the intention of being a complainer or alarmist (or expecting that they have answers at this point), but, rather, to let them know that I'm aware of the situation and I'm (potentially) concerned.

Clearly, they (and Kobe) have much work to do before they can identify any problems - or issue an "all clear".

Here's what I sent:

Hello,

My name is _________. On 2 October 2017, I purchased a new 2017 Prius Prime, VIN _____________________.

Today (10 October 2017) I learned of the falsified QA data for Aluminum (and Copper) sourced from Kobe Steel. My understanding is that Toyota vehicles may have been constructed using such sub-standard Kobe metals. And, consequently, I am concerned about the integrity, safety, and longevity of the 2017 Prius Prime which I purchased last week.

Please advise.
    I received an automated reply stating that they receive a heavy volume of emails, and, there may be a delay in responding.

I'll post here if I hear anything more.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Other reports mention steel.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The hood is aluminum. The block etc. is cast and any problems would show up at the casting plant. In my experience with the Prius hood, if it is 30% weaker you wouldn't notice. It's pretty weak anyway. All it does is deflect air and look good. I suspect it has minimal effect in energy absorption in a crash, as it's so weak, even at the specified strength.

Steel wasn't in the release. Only aluminum and copper. Weak copper would also not be a problem, as it isn't stressed in the Prius.

If you really want to worry about something, worry about the nuts behind all the other wheels on the road! ;)

krushmoto, GrGramps and jerrymildred like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the copper windings in the motors are stressed and cooled by the transaxle fluid. Temperature fluctuations can shorten the life of metals.

14. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FYI:"Iron powder products typically used to make items such as automotive gears" was mentioned in the Bloomberg article Zero Hedge quoted. (I posted this last night in Fred's House of Pancakes)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Trollbait likes this.
  15. Vertigo

Vertigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Latest news in this regard:

On Wednesday, the company said it had found one case of falsified data on iron ore powder – mainly used in vehicle parts such as gears – that had been shipped to a customer. It follows Kobe’s admission at the weekend that it had falsified figures about the strength and durability of its aluminium and copper products, which are used in the transport and defence industries.

Toyota, Nissan and Honda have all confirmed that they have used aluminium supplied by Kobe in hoods and doors. Toyota said it was “rapidly working to identify which vehicle models might be subject to this situation and what components were used”.

Nissan said: “We have confirmed that aluminium from Kobe Steel is used in the hoods and doors of some of our vehicles. As hoods are related to pedestrian safety, we are working to quickly assess any potential impact on vehicle functionality.”

Kobe, one of Japan’s oldest industrial companies, said it was contacting its customers and working to establish whether the products it had supplied were safe. At the moment, it does not believe that safety has been compromised. “Verification and inspection to date have not recognised specific problems casting doubts on the safety of the nonconforming products,” it said.
    And, while I'm certainly deserving of the Boulder of Shame, it appears I'll have to relinquish it...

In a statement announcing its discovery of doctored certifications, Kobe Steel said: “Causing this serious matter has brought overwhelming shame to the Company.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whatever happened to hari cari, are the japanese emulating the germans?

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the record, tensile strength is not a measure of stiffness. It is, unsurprisingly, a measure of strength. Elastic modulus is a measure of stiffness.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think anyone is worried about bodily harm, it's a matter of waiting for the other shoe to drop to find out if substandard materials were used which could lead to shorter than expected lifespans of certain components, resulting in expensive repairs down the road (perhaps measured in years) which would translate into lower resale value for affected vehicles, or at best handled by recall. And again Toyota is just an example, if this turns out to be a.large scale compromise of quality than not only multiple car makers but multiple industries could be affected.

Or it could turn out to be a false alarm, or relatively minor and isolated. Ageeed no point in overly worrying yet. But if you hear the whistling sound of a shoe falling.....

19. Piwacet

Piwacet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oh good so nothing important.

Mendel Leisk and pilotgrrl like this.
  20. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it would be important to know the properties not up to the requests.
    Tensile Strength modifications would have very little effect in the copper use, but fatigue and/or crack growth may demand other properties to be readressed, don't they?

21. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They wouldn't be having these problems if they bought their parts from China sources. :rolleyes:

I'm constantly dealing with verifying Chinese sourced parts' materials at my company. It's a runaround sometimes.

It's sad that Kobe has tarnished their reputation, which was all they had against other sourcing competition. Now I see this as an invitation for procurement of Chinese made parts.

22. Vertigo

Vertigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, I've been worrying about all of this Kobe news. I had a horrible dream last night where I learned that this scandal kept getting deeper and deeper. It unfolded as follows...

If this is happening with Kobe Steel, who's to say it's not happening with:
    • Kobe Beef?
    • Kobe Bryant?
    • Cobi Jones?
    • Terry Colby?
    • Colby Cheese?
    • Mozzarella Cheese?
    And, when (in my dream) I realized I'd likely been eating sub-standard pizza for the past several months, I was awoken by my own screams.

Note to self: don't watch Mr. Robot right before bed-time.

#20 Vertigo, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017