1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius and rabbit given worst rating on iihs test

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by rigormortis, Sep 25, 2008.

1. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    IIHS news release

in low speed tests (3mph and 5mph), prius and rabbit given the worst rating in crash tests, costing the most money to repair

To illustrate how small changes to bumper design can make a significant difference in repair costs, the Institute worked with Tech-Cor, the research division of Allstate Insurance, to modify the front bumper of the Prius. The reinforcement bar and foam absorber were extended another 10 inches on the passenger side under the headlight. When the Institute tested the Prius again, the headlight and fender were undamaged and the repair cost dropped from $1,200 to $254.

2. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wonder why they do not have videos up on their website for these test. I know they have the 35 mph crashes, but I would like to view these evaluations.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah i'd like to see pictures or directions on how to extend the bar and foam padding they were talking about

4. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I remember when they used to broadcast the results on Dateline. I always found crash test interesting. I guess I have a destructive personality. ;)

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    10" extension?! Seriously? Why not a 2 foot extension?....heck make it 3' just to be safe.

That think would be idiotic looking sticking out that far. I can see a 2 or 3 extension, integrated properly and that that could look good. But a 10" extension I think would cause issues with the headlight pattern blocking the lower light and where it hit the road in front of the vehicle.

I'm not saying that I question the results of the test...they are probably accurate from what costs I've heard quoted here. But I think their solution, unless I misunderstand it, seems a bit extreme.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius and Rabbit have gotten the worst low speed crash test rating for small cars, but to put this problem in perspective, the worst performing cars incur much more damage, e.g., Nissan Quest and I believe others incur over $8000 in damage on the same test.

Personally, I blame Washington and the NHTSA for caving in to automakers, and reducing the former 5 mph crash standard to the current 2.5 mph standard. I'm all for restoring the 5 mph standard. (And while we're at it, banning painted bumper covers forever.) I would love a return to chrome and rubber bumpers, and maybe even those with shock absorbers like on the old BMWs and Porches.

FYI, if you haven't seen it before, here's the NHSTA FAQ on the issue:

Bumper Questions and Answers

7. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Gee! I really am getting old. I can remember when the primary purpose of bumpers was funtional and not just for looks.

8. bazineta

bazineta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes. You'd think with a name like bumper, you'd be expected to, well, bump with them, from time to time.:D

9. gak27

gak27 Prius, Take Two

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Reading the article, it sounds like the extension was not out away from the car, rather, out to the corner under the headlight. It sounds like the bar/foam currently does not run the entire width of the car and their modification made it so...

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I favor mounting a 10 foot pole on the front. When the pole touches something you stop. It will eliminate the possibility of damage to the front of the car. :madgrin:

11. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The reinforcment bar extend slightly past the frame rails on both sides. Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Damn, the coolant tank is fully exposed. The study is correct, the bumper bar/core should be improved.

13. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't know, never meet one that tall?

14. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Remember this test isn't about safety. Its cost of repair. As cars get lighter costs of repair are probably going to go up (to some extent) because of the lighter weaker shell material.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok thanks for the pic slug and clarification gak...that makes sense to extend the metal & foam to reinforce the corner.

16. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How many Americans know that bumper crash standards were reduced from 5 mph to 2.5 mph? I doubt they would approve if given the chance. It's no wonder the public keeps electing the same old jerks. They simply aren't informed by the media on issues important to them.

jason5754 likes this.
  17. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While it's true about the media, remember, the media gives the public what it wants. The media is out to sell it's services and thus gives the public what sells it's services. The major problem is with much of the general public. You see soooo much on this site about the presidential and vice presidential canidates. I'll venture a bet that most of the posters have no idea who their local or state canidates are, that are also running for office in November. Or they vote along party lines and haven't the vaguest idea of what they support. The general public don't want to be involved. They vote and want to forget about it only to complain when something finally affects them directly. Yeh! This is a generalization but unfortunately it's true. We're just too d*mn complacient.

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I recall, the reduction happened so long ago that a generation would consider it ancient history. I don't remember much protest when it happened. Who complained when the chrome bumpers diappeared along with the 12"+ of open space between the radiator and the bumper?

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Jean Shepard once did an article in Mad Magazine about "Creeping Meatballism" where he said the ideal car for traffic should look like an amusement park bumper car. You can read the article at Jean Shepherd: The Night People vs Creeping Meatballism - Full Text

For the record, someone backed into my rear bumper (over by the left wheel) a few weeks ago and all it needed was for me to pop it back into place.

20. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had someone back into the front bumper in a parking lot. The speed was probably around 2 or 3 miles and it hit on the drivers side. My car had no damage what so ever, and the other car has a small spot. I guess I was lucky and it hit on the corner, and the arch of the corner was strong. I guess if it were a little faster it would have bent inward.