1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Antenna Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius2006rocks, Nov 9, 2005.

1. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just wondering if any of you out there knew why Toyota didn't use a flat painted antenna mod on the roof like the Honda Accord for example. Seems like in general it would be more wind drag (nothing noticable) with the current antenna in the air. I still love the Prius and don't think the current antenna looks bad I just was thinking about it.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have seen some replacement antennas that are shorter and would most likely work OK if you have a good signal, I think one or more of the sponsors of this site has them. I really don't think the antenna has much drag either, most likely negligible at highway speeds. I haven't seen the new Accord antennas, my old '98 had the antenna in the back window and it worked great if you were going away from the station but not the other way. I think Toyota choose a verticle antenna because it gives better reception.

3. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I just added a stubby antenna and didn't notice much loss in signal. I live in the city so who knows but I doubt it will help my MPG. I also added mud flaps so maybe the negative from the flaps will cancel out the savings from a smaller antenna. I got the antenna cause it looks cool that's all.