1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius as a non-daily driving car, will low mileage be harmful to the battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by popvldc, Jan 23, 2016.

1. popvldc

popvldc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and actually not a Prius owner (yet). I've been looking for a car with good cargo space to use on the weekends primarily (short distance excursions, the occasional long distance trip, but mostly running errands). I have other modes of transportation during the weekdays so total annual mileage of the car would be relatively low. I plan to have it really until the maintenance and upkeep costs become too much to keep it running.

I know the main reason people get the Prius is because of the fuel economy, and the point is to really drive these cars to reap the benefits. But aside from that, I have a chance to get a good deal on a 2012 Prius II from a neighbor. I know it's been well taken care of and maintained. The offer is pretty sweet. It's got low mileage (under 50k) so I'm sure there is still plenty of life left in the hybrid battery (which is my main concern to keep ownership costs low).

My question is, given the low mileage the car would be driven and that it would only be driven 1-2 times a week - would this be harmful to the hybrid battery? Would I just end up replacing the battery sooner or more often? Right now, the price I would be paying for it would be a better deal than getting something non-hybrid in the same year but all that would go out the window if I just have to end up replacing the battery (I'm guessing a couple of thousand for this from what I was told) because of low mileage.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Haven't had any problems with either Pearl or Pearl S with low use. In fact, both cars were hardly ever driven in winter, sleeping in the garage with a battery tender on the 12 V battery. The current owner of Pearl uses the car the same way, no use in winter with a battery tender on it. Pearl probably has around 80,000 km on her so far, since 2007. Pearl S has 24,500 km on her since 2012. She is currently hibernating in the garage with the battery tender connected to protect the 12V battery.

Silver bullit likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Driving it so little, the fuel savings over a regular car will matter little. I would suggest a used plug-in hybrid that you can keep plugged in and charged. You'll probably use about a tank/year for your longer trips and EV the rest of the time for your short trips/errands.

4. popvldc

popvldc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the comments. Well, the only thing is I live in the city and the car would be parked on residential street. Usually not anywhere near where I can plug it in to keep it charged or using a battery tender (but that's for the 12V which isn't as expensive as replacing as the hybrid battery so I'm not so much concerned about it).

S Kieth, I really don't have the option of using it another day of the week. There would be no point actually since the commute is going to be to short to make a difference and then I have to struggle with finding city parking after work which can be really tough during weekdays.

So it sounds like I don't have to really worry about harming the NIHM battery from driving it once or twice a week as long as I drive it long enough to get it warmed up and ensure the NIHM battery tops up.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe you can use a solar charger for maintaining the 12 volt? MSantos went all-out with an install at cleanmpg, I'll link it later if I can find.

Our 2010 has build date Aug 09 and we purchased Nov 10; it had a really good sit from the outset, and so far so good. Also, our driving is really low use, we're at 58K kilometres now, current usage under 10K km per year.

The hybrid battery continued to behave normally. I've just replaced the 12 volt, but it was somewhat preemptive. I do need to be cognizant of 12 volt, monitor it, periodically give it a booster charge.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  6. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    '07 here that's only been driven 1-2/week for the past 5 years or so. The 12v battery seems to be the one that you need to keep an eye on. It benefits from occasional, external maintenance charging. I've never seen any indication that the HV battery cares.

No need to "top up" the HV batt. Just try not to park it when charge level is near the bottom.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you'll be fine, but not sure what the advantages of a hybrid would be. how many miles per year would you expect?

8. popvldc

popvldc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco, I've managed to put less than 5k a year on my old car for several years. Yeah, there really isn't advantage driving a prius with that kind of mileage but if the price is right, why not? Besides circumstances can always change where I would be needing to drive the car on a more regular basis.

tanglefoot, I had to change the battery out of my old car when there was a period when I rarely used it for a couple of months. I didn't know that the electronics in the car still draws out a little bit of power from the battery even when not in use.

tangerino likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you looking at and how much? the 2004-2009 have a switch under the steering wheel that lets you shut off the sks remote key system. that puts a constant drain on the 12v. i think the 2010-15, you have to go into screen programming to do it, not sure.

10. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive my 04 maybe 20 miles a week. Sits probably 4 out of 7 days per month With SKS on. 215k on the clock and still ticking.....

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    original 12v?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    3rd gen shuts off the fob scanning more efficiently, so no need or way to switch off the scanning.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool, thanks!

14. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The hybrid battery will most likely fail on a low mileage car due to time rather than mileage. The warranty is for either 8 or 10 years non carb vs carb state.