1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Availability

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by billg_sd, May 30, 2004.

1. billg_sd

billg_sd New Member

After visiting 6 different Southern California dealerships and being informed of a 1 to 2 year wait (if I make a deposit now), I got fed up and emailed corporate directly.

I informed them that there were NO Prii for test drive, and obviously none on the lot. Some dealerships had no brochures, but could hook me up with a Matrix today...which gets pretty good mileage.

In the letter I directed them to their own web site BuyToyota.com, which states:

"Thank you for your interest in the 2004 Prius. Currently, dealers are experiencing a temporary shortage of Prius vehicles"

In my book a 1 to 2 year wait is NOT temporary shortage.

Even if they doubled production, that's a 6 month to 1 year wait. They need up increase production by a factor of at least 100.

It's difficult to share one's passion for a product that is forever out of reach.

I sincerely hope hope someone at Toyota Corporate "gets it".

-Billg_sd :cry:

2. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

increase production by a factor of 100?? no offense, but that can only be an exaggeration for emphasis.

4-5 times maybe, if they were really confident demand would continue.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    I think that demand will be greater soon. Up until this
    year, the Prius has been a huge unknown. The newer
    improved model will make the Prius one of the hottest
    items in the auto world. Word of mouth will do it
    better than any advertising campaign. I estimate that
    there is well over 100 Prius' in my area and most
    have appeared in the past 6 months. Before then, I
    might have seen a couple a week. now i see at least a
    couple every day. It does help that 3 people at the
    Gym i belong to drive them. (1 Classic) I think that
    the negative press the Prius has gotten lately is a
    result of the oil and american car companies running
    scared.

4. diode

diode New Member

It is not hard to buy a 2004 Prius

Many dealers can get these cars, you just need to be willing to pay over the sticker price (in some cases $5000).
    I know it is a bit shady, but that is what dealers are doing now. My friend wanted to buy a new 2004 Prius and he got the same "Limited supply 2 year waiting list" nonsense, and then he said "How about if I paid you an extra $4000" and the dealer called him back the next day and said he would have one by the end of the month.

In addition, every so often I see on EBAY a used 2004 prius cause of the usual financial issues, lost job, canot afford, wife threw me out, etc.

5. jchu

jchu New Member

Re: It is not hard to buy a 2004 Prius

Thought that Toyota (as well as ourselves) were trying to discourage gouging.

BTW, Called Toyota Consumer Service 800 # to inquire about the ECU 40D software fix and asked about Toyota production plans while I was at it (ordered 2nd Prius several weeks ago.) Officially, the current plan is to increase production by 50% :?

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    e-Bay has 4 2004's being auctioned going from 23000 to 26, 500

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I purchased mine at Merced Toyota in California. Their list is short (smaller town), and I had a great saleswoman, Melissa Favello, who really treated me well. MSRP for my #7 with mats, plus a $45 documentation fee. If you're tired of long waits, call Merced or other smaller dealers (West Virginia seems to have good availability as well) to see if you can get a car faster.

BTW I turned down two cars since I was holding out for a red one. I ordered in early January (I think) and the car arrived at the dealer on March 23rd. Merced Toyota rocks!!!!