1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius back bumper collects dirt like a vacuum

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stevehj, Feb 27, 2006.

1. stevehj

stevehj New Member

Just curious if anyone has a solution to the dirt thirsty plastic back bumper. It's kinda funny, all the dirt seems to "stick" to the bumper, yet the sides of the car are clean as a whistle.

Anyone have a solution. . .literally (you know like spray or something)? :)

2. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    it's the fact that it is a flat surface where dew can collect. The dew carries the dirt, and when it dries, leaves the dirt behind.

Since it is natural, you can't make it go away. All you can really do is hide it.

Some one had a black rubber bumper they got from Sigma that I saw at our Prius Meet this last weekend. It didn't seem to show dirt as much as my plain bumper does. It looked really spiffy and did a nice job of protecting the bumper too.

I use the Mr. Clean cleaning system, and that doesn't help much.

Rinsing it off and getting rid of the dirt is the only way to really deal with the schmutz.

Lisa

3. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Simple solution! Just drive up hill all day. Actually I got pne of those black back bumper guards. I put it on just minutes ago. Easy install and looks good...I think.

Two days new I dropped something on it and blessed it with its first chip. Luckily it is located exactly under the bumper protector. I did use touch up paint first though just to be sure.

While at the Prius Club Meet I saw two other types of black protectors...all looked good.

4. raybon

raybon New Member

I think part of it has to do with the aerodynamics of the car too. The small back window on the trunk lid and the vertical center of the back of the car always seem to be dirtier than the rest of it.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the aerodynamics.. there is nothing you can do.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    yes, the aerodynamics create a sorta dead zone in the back of the car (every car has one). What this means is that, while the airflow will essentially "blow" all the dew and moisture off the hood, roof, and sides, it doesn't actually touch the back bumper. thus the dirty dew just sits there till it evaporates.