1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Batteries

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by tomloy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. tomloy

tomloy TomL

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi. I am new to this forum. I am looking at getting a prius, but am concerned about the batteries. I have heard they cost upwards of $6000 to replace. How do you owners of the prius like it?

2. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #1: I don't think it costs that much to replace.

#2: Your chances of having to replace it are very small.

#3: It has a loooong warranty.

Buy it, shoot it, and post the pics here!

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First, to answer the stated question: Love the car!

To answer the unstated question: As Patrick says, The odds of a hybrid battery going bad are extremely small. Frankly, I'm more worried (to the extent that I'm worried at all, which I'm really not) about a failure of a mechanical component, such as the transmission, or another electrical component such as the multi-function display. If by some slim chance it fails prematurely, retail prices have been reported in the $3K-ish range, not $6K. E-Bay prices for used batteries are <$1K.

4. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Published April 7, 2006 (see link below for full FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions | Hybrid Cars

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The latest and best numbers we have on replacement cost is about $4500 per Naterprius's experience a few months ago. That is, of course, the cost of a brand new installed by Toyota replacement.

OTOH, you may well go 250-350k miles or more as Jesse did without any need to replace it at all until someone smashes into you totaling your ride.

Toyota expects the battery to last the life of the car. While unique individual cases may arise, like with any car, there is certainly no reason to expect you would ever need to replace the battery any more than you'd expect to replace the engine or a transmission on any other car.

6. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Love reading this thread. :eyebrows: I feel much better with my batteries. ;)