1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius battery finally died after 10 years and 220,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dodge Aries K, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Dodge Aries K

Dodge Aries K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well, the new to me beater 2005 Prius I picked up a few weeks ago decided to eat both of it's batteries for lunch and leave me high and dry. I replaced the aux battery yesterday which I was lucky to get at cost at the toyota dealer since the aux battery was original. Put it in and all was well with the car for the rest of the day. Got in it today and headed out and was welcomed with the big stupid "!" triangle, the regen brake warning, check engine light, "PROBLEM" written on the display with a picture of a "!" inside a car outline, and some severely reduced performance. So I looked online and found a place with a bunch of low mileage batteries out of smashed up 2009's. So almost $900 later and some tears (and other unpleasantries) the beater is back on the road yet again. The place was called Elite and was nearby St. Louis, MO... and their guy drove allllll the way up to Belvidere, IL from there this evening to replace the battery for me. Got here around 10:30 PM and got it back together pretty fast.

Anyway, I removed the old battery and checked it out. It turns out one of the cells was at 6 volts while the rest of them were at 7.9 volts... so there was it's problem. If I had the equipment to balance the battery pack and replace the individual parts I would have much rather done that instead. But, unfortunately there was a core charge so it's gone. That's my story for today haha.

Ellie Rubinger likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what you bought for $900 is basically the battery you turned in as a core....with a $40 replacement module in it. Most of the time, these fly by night repairs don't last.

Montgomery likes this.
  3. Dodge Aries K

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, I bought a used battery from a wrecked 2009 Prius with 29,000 miles. It's warrantied for a year.
    Merged.
    At least that's what I was paying for, anyway...

uart likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can tell if that's what you bought by opening the case and checking if all the serial numbers are in sequential order. All the modules should have similar serial numbers.

It's highly suspicious to have a 2009 battery with such low mileage. Also it's rare any wrecking yard offering 1 year warranties on batteries

Montgomery and uart like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunate, glad youre back on the road. please keep us posted. all the best!(y)

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good luck to you on the salvaged battery. I did something similar a few years and 50K miles ago, except I pulled the battery out of the wrecked vehicle myself (cost $800), then sold my core to a hobbyist ($300). I was a little lucky with both transactions, I thought, with many thanks to Craigslist.

7. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys I just figured I'd chime in here. There has been a company running a Craigslist ad in our area for several months that always advertises the same 2009 Prius battery with 29,000 miles on it. He normally runs the same ad in about 4 or 5 different cities at a time. I'm sure this is the same one the op responded to.

How many 2009 Prius batteries with 29,000 miles could there be?

#7 Texas Hybrid Batteries, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  8. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, I have seen the same adds in the upper midwest. Your old battery will be the next 29,000 mile battery they sell.

9. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did some internet searching on this company a little while back and found out the guys name is Michael Nouri and he's from Owensville MO. He used to run an online parts business called XVIPERS. Turns out the Viper guys have a forum like PriusChat and they have whole threads of members who he's ripped off and stolen money from. Unfortunately it looks like he's found a new group of people to take advantage of now.

10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ironically he told me the same 29,000 mile battery story here less than a week ago.

So tempting to have him show up at my shop, open up the pack, and call his bluff.

Sidenote:
    The photo in his ads aren't even his.
    That picture of the woman replacing a battery in the red Prius is hybrid car extraordinaire, Carolyn Coquilette, of Luscious Garage in San Francisco.
    It saddens me to see her picture used in such and unscrupulous way.

uart likes this.
  11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dodge Aries K,
    Can you share with us the address of the company you dealt with.
    Also, the name on the check/payment you made?

Did you play via credit card?

12. cooltroy

cooltroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reconditioning worked great on my 158,000 2006. Cost was $490 for the charger/discharger. Now I can do it when it happens on the wife's car too!

jeff652 likes this.
  13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tell you what, Dodge Aries KY , I'd be willing to drive down to you and pop open the pack to confirm that the numbers are sequential.

Cool Troy, the problem here isn't with reconditioning, the problem is that it seems suspicious that every battery the craigslist guy sells is from a 29,000 mile car. In fact he has another one for sale right now. Seems unlikely.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you invite him over, make sure you're packing.:cool:

15. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey coolttroy,
    Glad you were able to get your car going again. I'm curious what kind of symptoms you had when your battery died in your 2006. Do you know what the trouble codes were? Do you know which battery blocks were acting up? I'm just curious because depending on the type of failure sometimes those grid chargers can't fix your battery. I wouldn't want people to get confused about what they do.

I have a handful of customers that have the HA Grid Chargers and this is the way the conversation normally goes when I get there to replace their battery.

me - "Oh I see you've got a grid charger, cool. How's that working for ya?"
    them - "It didn't fix anything, wish I could get my $500 back. Do you know anybody that wants to buy a grid charger?"

You wrote that your wife's car was a 2007. I would start conditioning that battery now because if you wait until it starts showing symptoms it's probably gonna be to late.

#15 Texas Hybrid Batteries, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  16. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have had my pictures lifted also. I use a Hoyer lift to move batteries in and out of cars. I have seen pictures of my lift and workbench used on Craigslist in other cities and states. To search Craigslist nationwide I use SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more . With a little searching it is easy to spot scams.

The truly sad result of scammers is that they can ruin the reputation of a whole industry. Matt from Texas Hybrid Batteries has the figured out the ideal business model for battery replacement. That is local, independent, mobile installation. Combine that with good quality control and pricing that makes sense for both the customer and seller and you have a product that the national companies can not match.

Brad

uart and Texas Hybrid Batteries like this.
  17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hoyer Lift....nice. 1 trip to the hospital with a strained back will pay for that thing LOL

18. Dodge Aries K

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well shit... Yes I used my credit card. Looks like I will be filing fraud charges now. I appreciate the offer to come check it out... I'll take you up on that if you like.

The company was called Elite Auto. Phone number 573-692-2477. Elite Auto - Home
    610 E Highway 28
    Owensville, MO 65066

#18 Dodge Aries K, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Man, this really blows. I did some digging on this one after XVipers came up in the string. It is amazing just how many dishonest business people are out there. Let us hope that Dodge Aries K gets the charge stopped and gets a good battery in the end.

20. Dodge Aries K

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well I filed a dispute with chase (my card company) and printed out the ad. I actually tried calling several times since they charged me tax on the battery and it's for my uber car so it shouldn't have been charged and they didn't have the decency to call me back. I'm sure I'll get a phone call now though... I hate dishonest people.