1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius beats WRX, Impressa at Ice Autocross

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by narf, Jan 21, 2008.

1. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Prius beats WRX, Imprezza at Ice Autocross

January 6th I decided to take the Prius to a local ice-autocross. I've been doing these things for years, but never in car with this level of VSC and traction control. So, with my 3 year old Blizzaks bolted on I headed up to RainbowFalls lake near Pikes Peak. Had a great time, and did way better than expected. Most of the day the surface was wet glare ice. By the second run the course and especially the start area became slick enough that it was hard to walk on, let alone drive. By the time the day was over I had convinced everyone there that the Prius is an impressive snow and ice car.
    The event had a mix of daily drivers, mostly front wheel drive and 4x4. Of the 33 cars there total, only 8 had better lap times that I had in the Prius. Of the 23 cars there on studless tires, only three went faster than I did in the Prius. In addition, I beat 8 of the 11 4x4 cars on studless tires including 3 WRXs.

Now, in all modesty I'm a pretty good ice driver and I have years of experience at ice-autocrosses. I'd also say that it was hard to get used to the traction control not letting me spin the tires at all. However, I never had any trouble getting started on wet glare ice, and the VSC did a good job of keeping the car sliding in the right direction.
    [​IMG]

Below is a video I took of my co-driver's last run in the car. Not her best run at all (she overdrove several turns), but you can see the car handles pretty well on ice as long as you have some decent tires on it. You'll also notice that the start is standing water on smooth ice. The water and slush looks brown because of the dirt tracked into it from the shore of the lake.[FONT=&quot]

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8277231537666705367"]Ice Autocross Jan 6 2008 Rainbow Falls Lake Colorado[/ame]
    [/FONT]

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    never seen one of those before (drove by some on the way down I70 from Dillon this weekend though), but dang that's a lot slower than I would have expected.
    Still very cool report.

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    In order to go much faster than that on ice you need serious spikes on your tires. Our club only allows street legal tires. A few years back we had a demo run at the end of the day by a guy in a Porsche 911 with 2" bolts in the tires. It handled like a slotcar, way faster than if he was on pavement.

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hah, that'll show all those people who believe the Prius sucks in the snow. :)

Good to know the Prius will be as fast as my WRX with good tires in the snow. :)

Anything done to the Prius to prep it for autocross besides the tires (alignment, tire pressures, etc?) To get the best acceleration off the line with the traction control kicking in, did you simply just floor it?

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looked like she was lost.

Impressive!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Impressive! You can hear the TRAC working near the end of the video in the last left turn towards the finish line.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks good. BTW, what kind of tires do you have?

8. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    In answer to questions.

No, she wasn't lost. The course doubles back on itself, so all the 180 turns were part of the course.

Nothing was done to prep the car. I didn't even change tire pressures.

I'm using 3 year old Bridgestone Blizzak WS50s size 186/65/15 on 15" steel wheels from Tirerack.com (the car is a touring edition, but 15s fit fine and on ice the skinnier tire the better.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Looks a lot like the main roads around here. Thanks for the fun post.

Tom

10. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A solid case to show that Snow Tires do help a lot in snow driving Prius, even in moderate high speed.

A lot of posts in PC claimed Prius' TRAC will make the car drop-dead or stop moving on snow trails....which is just doing its job to avoid drivetrain damage when the stock tires don't have enough grapping power on this type of surface.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew she wasn't lost.

12. Classic_pri

Classic_pri Former 2001 Prius 0wner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like to ice autocross too. I was thinking of trying our '01 Prius on the local course but I was wondering how the brakes would react to left-foot application. I use that driving technique a lot on the ice, as it helps an FWD car rotate in tight turns and cancels out understeer when you balance the braking with a little throttle.

So narf, if you're still monitoring this thread, could you describe how the regenerative braking system reacts to low-traction conditions? Also, have you experimented with left-foot braking on ice?

Thanks for the insight (oops, I said a Honda word).