1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Beeping

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Clayton Powell, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Clayton Powell

Clayton Powell New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi I have a 2004 Prius and it beeps when I take the key out of the ignition and open the door. Now it won't start. It's done this a couple times and I'll jump it and it won't happen again for a week or so. Could I be needing a new 12 V battery?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! yes. you can check the age, test it, charge it, or just replace it. you can get optima on line, oem at dealer, duracell through the battery store, or exide from auto parts. all the best!(y)

Clayton Powell likes this.
  3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If jumping the car allows the car to start, the only other thing I can think of is the high voltage to "12V" inverter, but these only very very rarely fail. I would be extremely surprised if it is not your battery that has gone bad.

Most local auto parts stores will do a free car battery test. Just make sure you have the panels removed so they can reach the terminals in the trunk easily (and expect them to not know that the battery is in the trunk in 2nd gens).

It's not hard, but is more involved to replace the 12V battery on the Prius versus other cars due to its trunk mounting. Expect to spend around $150 for a battery (I think most people here recommend the Optima yellow top that fits the Prius as one of the best replacements), and another $100 if you pay a shop to replace instead of doing it yourself.

Also important to know is if your Prius has the Smart Key System (SKS) or not. 95%+ of 2nd gens have this feature; only the minimum package that rental car companies purchased don'd have this. The non-SKS Pri-i have a smaller battery, so if you purchase a battery for it, you'll likely need a new mount.

Clayton Powell likes this.
  4. Clayton Powell

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Yeah I was thinking it was the battery since jumping it works. I just didn't know what was causing it to beep with the key out of the ignition? Didn't want to get a new battery and it keep happening and run my new battery down. Could the run down battery be causing it to beep?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might want to check the fob battery as well.

6. Clayton Powell

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay. I bought the car used and the fob didn't work. The red light would come on when I pushed buttons but nothing would happen. After a month or so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the battery and still nothing. Red light comes on. But the fob won't lock or unlock it.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still a possible 12v problem. is it your only fob? it get's very expensive if you lose it. it's also possible the fob is not original to the car.

8. Clayton Powell

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes it is my only fob. I got the car from a used car dealership as I only drive the car to and from work to save on gas/wear and tear on my regular truck. I didn't have the Toyota dealership replace the fob since they were expensive. I just use the hard key to unlock it, I lock it from the inside, and just use the fob to put in the ignition to start it

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    would it be worth buying a 10 dollar volt meter and testing the batteries?

10. Clayton Powell

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I should probably try that. Will my car still start by by using the sks key even if the fob battery is dead?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it will start if you put it in the slot, doesn't need a battery. when they got rid of the slot, you hold the dead fob up to the start button to start it.