1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius beeps after being turned off, then won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jaichim24, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jaichim24

Jaichim24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted this in the general forum as well, thanks for looking.

I have a 2005 Prius with 64k miles, I bought used from a Toyota dealership, Toyota certified. It was purchased in Nov of 2009. In Nov of 2010, around Thanksgiving I moved the car onto the grass in my yard to make room for guests in the driveway. It was fairly cold out, but I don't think below freezing.

The battery was at all blue bars, with only the top two green ones not charged.

After I moved the car I turned it off and opened the door to get out. The car started beeping at me as if I had left the key in. However I had the key in my hand. I put the key back in, started, turned it off, took the key out and opened the door and the car started beeping at me. (identical to the sound when you leave the key in)

At the time I reasoned that it must have always done that and went back inside.

The next time we went to start the car it would not start. The display lights would pop on, then fade, and only the check engine light would stay on. Eventually that would fade.

A jump start allowed the car to start, I drove around until the battery was charged green. We were able to start it the next time as needed.

One thing to note, I thought I could turn the car on, and once the engine started it would charge the battery until both green bars were full. However, mine doesn't seem to do that. I only get the green bars if I charge them while driving down hills and braking.

Ultimately since the first occurrence, this has now happened 6-7 times culminating today when regardless of what status I leave the battery at, the car won't start without a jump start. I can have it green, turn it off, and won't be able to start it, no power. Temp is currently 0 degrees F.

Today was the first time it failed to start when I knew the battery was almost fully charged. I'll be bringing it into the dealership tomorrow, but I wanted to solicit some ideas as to what may be wrong, if this has happened to other people, and what to expect.

I do have the extended warranty on this, but I am so distrustful of the dealership I feel that regardless of what is wrong with the car they will figure out a way to find that it is not covered.

I am hoping it is not the main battery.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and assistance.

Jai

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never mind the main battery. Has the 12V battery ever been changed?

I don't know about the beep, but the jumping and everything else certainly sounds like a failing 12V battery. The displayed battery bars tell you nothing about that, they refer only for the traction (main) battery.

As for warranty, the expensive main battery should still be under warranty, but the 12V very likely will not.

3. Jaichim24

Jaichim24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not since I've owned it, so if I had to take a guess probably not in the life of the car. If they determine it is the 12v battery, is it better to have them install their own, or is it better to do it myself. (not that I have a clue where it is or how to exchange it)

4. Jaichim24

Jaichim24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hrmm, dealerships are closed today, anywhere else I can get a battery for a Prius on a Sunday?

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Almost the only battery that is the right size, shape and technology as the Toyota battery is the Optima Yellowtop D51, but it has the wrong sized posts, elearnaid sells a conversion kit, with and without the battery. Free shipping to the US makes it appealing if you have the time.

Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 10

7. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is totally normal charging behavior for the main battery. Remember the state of charge shown on the screen is for the main high voltage battery and does not tell you anything about the state of charge of the 12 volt battery. It is the 12 volt battery which boots the computers which then start the car. Prius has two electrical systems. A high voltage system which includes the main or traction battery which drives the traction motors and a low voltage 12 volt system which runs the computers and other low voltage accessories.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you have, or can pick up a digital volt meter: check the voltage of the 12 volt battery. A good battery should read at least 12.6 volt. Lower, it might be salvaged with an overnight charging regimen.

Assuming it's the original 12 volt battery in there, I would just get it replaced, regardless of outcome, soon. It's gone a good distance, more than most. Look on it as an expendable. If you don't want to fuss around, the original battery model is your best bet.

9. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And by the way... the car has a target for the big battery of 2 blue bars.. not full. That way it has some headroom to regenerate from a future use of braking. It also doesn't want to fully charge the battery since this greatly reduces it's life. As you have seen a downhill run on the brakes can give you lots of green bars, but the car is going to look for a way to productively use those as soon as possible to be ready for the next braking.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's covered under warranty, why not have the dealer do it? if not, you can order the optima, wait for it to arrive, install it yourself and save a few bucks. time is money! all the best!

1 person likes this.
  11. Jaichim24

Jaichim24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all for your responses, I do appreciate it. It was 15 degrees out today and it took over an hour to get that darn 12V out. (my first time of course) I can't believe how much "blocks" it in. As I have a wife and kids who rely on this car, I don't think I can even wait a few days to get it back up and running. We have almost 3 feet of snow on the ground, and another storm due this week.

That being said, I hopefully will be able to find a dealership that stocks a charged 12v. I will admit it's a bit disappointing reading up on this and seeing the lack of options.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Beeeeeeeeeeep = "you left some cabin lights on or a door open" or "help, the 12V battery is dying".

13. mdrobins

mdrobins New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This has been happening to me for quite some time now. Its not the 12v Battery in the back and its not the system battery. I have had mine checked a few times now at 69.00 per diagnostic. Personally I think its a sensor in the key cartridge slot is not registering that the key has been removed., so technially the car is still "on " in a dormant acc mode. It happens randomly to me, but what i have noticed is that when i get in the car start it back up and move the car and park again SOMETIMES this works. BUT in the event of failure it is best to always have an inexpensive fully charged battery 12 V starter pack from sears, its a quick and painless start and you are never worried anymore. It happened to me last night, and i was off and running in a few seconds. It hooks nicely to the battery in the trunk and you ground it on the metal tie town hook.

14. mdrobins

mdrobins New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This has been happening to me for quite some time now. Its not the 12v Battery in the back and its not the system battery. I have had mine checked a few times now at 69.00 per diagnostic. Personally I think its a sensor in the key cartridge slot is not registering that the key has been removed., so technially the car is still "on " in a dormant acc mode. It happens randomly to me, but what i have noticed is that when i get in the car start it back up and move the car and park again SOMETIMES this works. BUT in the event of failure it is best to always have an inexpensive fully charged battery 12 V starter pack from sears, its a quick and painless start and you are never worried anymore. It happened to me last night, and i was off and running in a few seconds. It hooks nicely to the battery in the trunk and you ground it on the metal tie town hook.

15. mullen28

mullen28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having the exact same problem. It's only happened to me 2 times but it's still frustrating. Has anyone replaced the 12v battery and had this problem again after?

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then clearly the 12V battery *is* at fault; either that, or the cables at the battery terminals or the negative cable at the stud connection. A dealer's battery tester can be set (or interpreted) incorrectly for a Prius battery, indicating a false pass. It would be fine for the starter in a conventional car but not for Prius' electronics.

To easily test the 12V battery yourself see here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/73400-weird-stuff-happening-mpgs-dropping-test-battery.html

If it fails this test perhaps you can convince the dealer to give you a credit on a new battery for having messed up their $69 diagnostics.

17. mdrobins

mdrobins New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I did try the diagnostic tips in the link above a few times since my last post. Currently I'm getting 10 v before a load is placed. So no matter what the dealer says the battery is toast. I have it hooked up to a charger that will go to trickle mode once the 12v is charged up. One thing I noticed is as soon as I take the charger off, the battery registers ~12.3 v but then rapidly decreases to 10.3 v while in maint mode with no load on the battery. Maybe I didn't let it charge long enough to hold onto the charge? It was only 15 minutes, but charger went into trickle charge mode so assumed the battery was full. I'm trying over night this time to see what happens

SGH-T959 ?

18. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a general question: How often do we change the 12V? When it dies?

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can run the above test to get an idea of the condition. I have an 06 that I bought in January 06 and I changed the 12 volt 2 months ago, as a precaution since voltages at the vehicle signal check step after being left overnight were getting marginal (high 11.x volt range).

Yours is probably due to replacement soon, if it's not already bad.

1 person likes this.
  20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In almost any car, any time over 4 years is borrowed time.
    In a Prius, only those which have been run completely dead do not last 4 years.
    If you are planning ahead, the Optima recovers from a deep discharge better.

Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 10

1 person likes this.