1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius beeps and slowly dies

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Green jasmine, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Green jasmine

Green jasmine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! I am another newbie to Prius chat. I own a 2009 Prius and have had occasional issues with the car not starting in cold weather and have had to jump start it a few times. Fortunately that was successful. Today I noticed a new problem. In the past we have had problems with the car making a beeping noise, and the car with key symbol would blink. I have ignored that issue as it only lasted a short time. Today the car was beeping and when pushing the start button the car turned on but the dash lit up with the red triangle and exclamation point. We have had this happen before and would press the parking brake, then release it, push power button and it would shut off and we would restart without problems. Today the right headlamp went out followed by the left one about 30 seconds later. The fuel indicator began blinking as well as the drive/park indicator on the far left of the dash. The car eventually went dead although had very little light for overhead and glove box lights. The brake lights also worked. We have 125,000 miles on it with the original battery. Does this mean the battery finally went. If so how will we be able get the car out of the garage? Hope I can get some help. Love the gas money this car has saved us.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! From what you describe, and the fact that you've already had to jump-start the system, makes me wonder if your 12V battery is starting to play up, perhaps? Do you have access to a volt-meter with which you might be able to measure the voltage on the battery? There is also a diagnostic-screen available which will show you the voltage of the battery (use "search" function for diagnostic screen), or perhaps someone might already know the link to which I'm referring? Good luck, and you've certainly come to the right place to learn all you'll ever need to know (and more) about your Prius! - hope this helps - Wil :)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! agree with wil ^^^ you can get the car out of the garage by jumping the battery in back, or jump terminal under the hood, if you backed in. if you can't open the hatch, climb in from the back seat. below the hatch floor is the handle to manually open the hatch. read the o/m and take a flashlight. all the best!(y)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does this mean the lights were very dim? If so, replace the 12V battery now.

5. Green jasmine

Green jasmine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a volt meter, but old, that does not have a 12 v option. Don't know if that would still work? See photo. How do I access the diagnostic screen if the display screen does not light up? Is there a brand of 12v battery that is recommended? From previous posts looks like I should be able to buy one from local auto parts store.

Attached Files:

6. Green jasmine

Green jasmine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. See reply to Wil

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your pic is a bit fuzzy, but (to me) it looks like the range you need seems to be the one at about 8 o'clock on the rotary switch in your pic (…ah, here's a better pic of a similar instrument -
    6 Function Analog Multimeter | Sperry Instruments
    - check the video on the page explaining how to use the meter) If I had access to a reliable teleporter, I'd drop by and give you a hand, but as it is, looks like you're on your own, buddy! ;)- hope this helps - Wil

PS Check my previous post on BatteryMart.com ( AGM Toyota Prius Auxiliary Battery - Made in the USA: BatteryMart.com )

Green jasmine likes this.