1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Blind Spot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenMachine, Nov 1, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Consumer Reports October test results show Prius first in Family Sedan class for a 5'8" driver with a 7' blind spot to the rear. A 5'1 driver has a 14' blind spot -- second in the Family Sedan Class.

The link to the test results is: (CU membership may be required to open.)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/sa...1&resultIndex=1

With the '06 rear camera, the distance will be 0' based on what they say about other cars with rear cameras.

Does this result surprise anyone else?

2. Jon_M

Jon_M Member

Yes, it surprises me. By flipping my mirror around 180 degrees, the view to the rear is improved, but it still leaves a lot to be desired, especially with the distraction caused by the spoiler. Both my wife and my daughter drove the car and complained about how bad the view was compared to a Civic (wife) and Subaru Outback (daughter). Those other cars on the CU list must be really terrible!

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just saw a blurb on CNN about the exact same thing. they didnt mention a Prius, but behind an SUV the blind spot is like 26 feet. to demostrate, they showed the view from both side mirrors and the rear view. then the driver got out of the SUV and walked back to the rear of the vehicle to reveal an entire 2nd grade class at the local elementary school. 20 something kids...completely hidden behind the car.

they also showed a quick shot of the rear view camera on a screen that looked identical to the MFD (again, no brand mentioned) and said that this could be added as an aftermarket for $1000.

they also showed a radar sensor system the emits beeps that tell you how close you are to something. this was only a "few hundred" and could be installed in "2-5 mins"

on the blind spot. a full sized pickup scored the worst at 46 feet or so... this was attempting to view a traffic cone that was 28" high. they used that because that is about the height of a bike ridden by a kid in the 5-7 year old range.

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Explains why some people don't like to be tailgated.. they can't see you.

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

CU says the 2005 Honda Civic EX is not as good as the Pruis .... 8' vs 7' for the Prius for a 5'8" tall driver and 18' vs 14' for the Prius for a 5'1" driver.

The Subaru Legacy Outback is 13' and 18' which is considerably worse.

I have an 1998 Outback, and my one accident, a bumper bender, was backing into a truck trailer which had stopped with its trailer pulled too close and low for me to see directly behind me.

I also have a 2001 Honda Civic LX -- The view for me is pretty good since I'm 5'9". So far so good as far as no blind spot incidents.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the 2G Prius first came out there were threads of outrage about the poor visibility of the car. I consistantly argued that the visibility is good but that the appearance was odd with the spoiler splitting the visual field and the 'tunnel' effect when looking through the inside rear-view mirror.

But with mirrors properly set on the outside you have excellent coverage and a very small blind spot. That doesn't mean it makes you feel comfortable with the view as it gives the illusion that it's a very cramped view, but if you actually take the time to get used to it and learn the quirks visibility is quite good. I'm not the least suprised by the results.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that split window enables you to see very short objects very close to you. i frequently have to back into a space that has those building barrier thingys designed to impede truck bombing attempts. they are short, very stout barriers spaced just enough to prevent vehicles from getting through them and i can see them. they are baring two feet tall.