1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius body panels..why not make them out of composite

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fuelsipper, Jul 10, 2006.

1. fuelsipper

fuelsipper New Member

material. I do not know the technical term, but am thinking plastic/kevlar, or some concoction thereof. Maybe that would be too expensive to make. And I just might find out...
    The point is...the body on the Prius is about as sturdy as a can of Hamms Beer (not that I would know how that tastes)
    I could go on with all of the body damage our 2005 Prius has aquired, most in parking lots (yes, we always look for a good spot, it still happens)

I am wishing for a plastic body, one that pops back into shape. Way past the first dent phase, just wondering if anyone else has had a thought on the subject..

E-Eric

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The side panels on my 1996 Saturn SC2 coupe were some sort of plastic. You could pound on them and they would give and bounce back. It was a selling point and after 10 years it didn't have any "dings". I imagine they would make the car lighter. You would need to reformulate the paint so it would be flexible like the panels. The frame was a cage to protect the passengers, much like the Prius.

3. jtullos

jtullos New Member

At present, making composites is neither easy nor cheap. I've done a very small amount of work with composites, and yes, they are lighter and stronger. However, composite production is not yet (to my knowledge) fully automated, certainly not on the scale necessary for a production automobile.

Composites are not necessarily flexible. Some are, some aren't. It's all in how the composite is put together. What I worked with, and those I've seen, are all for rigid applications (airplane wings, rocket/satellite components, etc). These are all applications where a few pounds can make a huge difference in cost. Launches to orbit typically cost a few thousand dollars per pound, whereas most cars probably won't have a noticeable effect from a few pounds here or there. Now if you can start taking away several hundred pounds (possible with composites, though still expensive), then you start to get a significant effect.

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It is a great idea...but there has to be some reason that it never really caught on with other vehicles. Maybe a safety issue, maybe an electronics issue (it is hard to wire a car when you can not find a ground because the panels are plastic). It could also be that the repair costs on those panels was too high when compared with metal.

5. fuelsipper

fuelsipper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 10 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]284089[/snapback]</div>

Hummm...I didn't know that about the Saturn. thank you for the information, and yes the question does arise...why not in other vehicles?

E-Eric

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get enough dings in something that holds its shape, then
    you'll have those aerodynamic surface dimples that'll increase
    your MPG!
    ... when the "golf cart" turns into the "golf ball" ...
    _H*

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know. This is just a speculation: It could have to do with crumple zones as a safety factor. A body that takes an impact and then springs back into shape is not absorbing any energy. A body that crumples is absorbing energy. For safety you want the body of the car to absorb energy so that your own body doesn't.

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oops...

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Plastic panels mean larger gaps between panels which leads to ungainly gaps between panels and aerodynamic issues in that they create larger eddies.

10. fuelsipper

fuelsipper New Member

I have the answer why plastic type flexible body parts are not an industry standard!

ABAA

Auto Body Associates of America 8)

11. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 10 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]284195[/snapback]</div>
    What are F1 cars made of (where price is no object)? Composites (not plastic).

I think the Prius is ground breaking enough. Perhaps the next gen or the next hyper-mile hybrid will add some composite pieces.

12. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Jul 10 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]284247[/snapback]</div>
    Do a google search for aptera hybrid and take a look at some of the results. I'm personally going to remain skeptical until they're in production, but it looks promising.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about using hemp? No, I'm not advocating drug use. I'm thinking of using a renewable, sustainable resource as a substitute for metal. I recall a video, though I can't find it now, of a vehicle made from hemp that resisted the blows of a sledgehammer with minimal damage. Is it BMW that's using hemp for door panels?

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is the body of the Tesla made out of?