1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius brake (squawk/bark/honk/grunt type noise from brake accumulator/booster/actuator) severity

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by varun singh, Aug 29, 2019.

1. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello Folks,

I have a 2011 Prius with 129k miles on the clock. I am experiencing the brake clunk/thump noise when exercising brake pedal to stop followed with typical energizing sound (bit of non coasting/regenerative type of stop). I am certain that this from brake booster/accumulator assembly( below the fuse box in engine bay)
    I vaguely remember this noise being present super occasioanlly, but lately it seems to be getting more pronounced.

My brakes (disks and pads) are good, tires, suspension components are good and the Toyota technician itself confirmed about the noises being abnormal themselves and easy to replicate during test drive. But, so far functionality is not affected.

I am trying to understand/gauge the brake clink/clunk noise to see if any part(brake booster/accumulator) is about to fail, unfortunately Toyota wouldn't cover it as there is no error codes or lights.

Toyota tech did apply newer s/w for brake accumulator/assembly to see if the noises would away, but it didn't.

CSB: ZJB

I am looking to see if this being expericienced y others as well and for how long, if this noise is to be taken as tell-tale sign.

I also hear this noise when the car is in parked mode but turned on after pressing the brakes, just enough till the hill assist does not engage and when depress the brakes too.

Also found this read out: Toyota Prius buzz, squish or honk noise when using the brakes

Video capture of the noise/sound:

#1 varun singh, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is what to do and report back. Remove your caliper (pull relays or disconnect the 12V battery before doing so), remove your rotor and take a picture of the rotor surface facing inward, the one that can not be seen with the rotor on the car.

My bet is that you will see that (most likely) outer part of the rotor is rusted/crusted. and your inner pad is wearing improperly. The cause of this is dried up grease in the slide pins. The pins may be seized up in the caliper bracket or they just do not have enough lube to move freely as they should. This causes the inner pad to wear improperly and not make full contact with the rotor. In the Prius, which has so much of the braking done electrically (regen) this symptom often goes unnoticed as the braking performance remains serviceable. But as time goes on and the improper wear continues the symptoms of creaking at the end of pedal travel become worse. If you just look at things from the outside you may not see an issue. You need to pull the rotors and pads and examine things. I can post some pictures of what I am talking about.

3. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is what I had when I pulled my rotors. After replacing rotors and pads the creaking is gone. I also cleaned and re-lubed the pins.

IMG_1448.jpg

4. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My brake pad and the disc rotors are brand newish, they were installed around 18 months back. The calipers appear to be rust free along with disc rotors.
    The brake pedal feels is almost consistent and travel appears normal, the brake fluid is topped off from recent service around 4 weeks back, the dealer during service performed basic checks and no issues absolutely, not even the noise, this is just been recent development.

I have had a caliper pin seizing issue in past my Acura tax in past, where the tire would become super hot.

Attached Files:

5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I stand by my advice. Take the rotors off and examine the inboard side. It takes about 10 minutes to do. You may be surprised. Often times the grease will dry up on the pins. 18 months is overdue for pin check. Should be done every year at least (even though it's not official Toyota recommendation).

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see that you have slotted and drill rotors on the car. This may be part or all of your problem. These types of rotors usually are very noisy under moderate braking due to the interrupted surface area. They produce a very audible rumble under hard braking. I’m not positive but I would surmise that the brake noise you are hearing is during the transition from regenerative braking to hydraulic application. This happens around 7 MPH... just the perceived speed that I see in your video.

7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question. If you put the car in park and turn it off. Then press the brake pedal all the way to the floor with good amount of pressure. Do you hear the noise? If yes, I again reiterate my advice.

8. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once the car is turned off, after pressing in the brakes, I don't hear the noises from engine bay (clunk from brake accumulator), after few iterations, the pedal stiffens up. Once disc bulge subsides, let me check that out too.

If you see the video, it doesn't appear like grinding video, it appears more like what I found online of Prius brake noises but very discussions around them. There are some videos in YouTube with same exact issue but no follow up comments :-(

#8 varun singh, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The reason why I am sure that it's not from rotors is, because the same noise occurs even when the vehicle is parked, just slam in the brakes while vehicle is stationary, and the noise is super audible, inline of thump/clunk

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see this noise when the car is actually parked but turned on, and pressing the brakes seems to generate this noise.

11. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I still say it's your pins. Not rotors, not calipers, not pads, but pins are either seized up or just very dry and not moving properly. This causes the other things (rotors and pads) to wear improperly, but that improper wear is only the symptom. The cause is the pins. If you can make the noise while standing still, this only makes me more sure I am right. I was able to make it even with the car off, but maybe your problem is less advanced than mine was. Look at the side of the rotors you can't see without removing them and make sure the pins slide easily and without friction. You will need to clean the old grease out thoroughly and clean the pins themselves, then add proper grease and re-assemble with new pads and rotors. The noise will be gone.

12. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

The dealership today during diagnosing did check that too as well (now looking at the work order).

My Acura TSX had seized pin issue a while back, where the pads wouldn't retract all the way. I found out by the abnormal heat that particular tire emitted, but currently, they are running normal hot.

Even, when the brakes are pressed, this thump noise is not continuous, it happens once only while the brake pedal is still engaged.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm familiar with various reported Prius brake noises, but this is the first time I've seen a post describing a thump or clunk. That's not among the sounds I would associate with the ZJB issue. (I'm going by your description alone, as for the moment I don't have an easy way to get sound out of youtube.)

I might just poke around more with a mechanic's stethoscope (and a friend to push the brake pedal) and try to form a more detailed sense of what kind of sound is coming from exactly where.

14. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yup, that's my next step once my disc bulge subsides,.

If you see the YouTube video I posted, you can hear brake regenaration and then followed with this clunk/clink/thump noise once the brake pedal is pressed.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I could hear it better if I had any way to get sound out of youtube, but at the moment I don't, so I'm having to rely on the description.

16. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Aah, sorry, no worries,

I found this : Toyota Prius buzz, squish or honk noise when using the brakes

This exactly explains my observation currently.

Sorry, I keep getting confused between brake actuator/accumulator/booster, I am sure that initial whine/whistling noise and this honk type noise is from the same location, I had my wife start and pedal a few times, followed the noise beneath the fuse box, sort of inward between hybrid motor and fuse box

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  18. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Thanks for the noise names :), I just updated the title to reflect this part.

Ahh, my Prius verbiage has gotten out of date :)

Toyota dealer did update both the MG recall and brake system updated s/w and still the issues persist.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What is your current brake firmware version?

20. varun singh

varun singh Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh, that they didn't tell me the rev version, all they said is they plugged in my vin, and it automatically updated, but they kept existing Caliberation because my Prius was upgraded to 17 inch wheels but factory spec is 15 wheels, this is the same dealership who had originally sold the car with this change, I knew this would be critical so we t to the same dealership.

Anything, further they kept arguing that this is the best :-(