1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius brakes and other 71k observations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ray Moore, May 3, 2007.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi Ya'll
    It's been quite some time since I've been here to visit. I thought I'd share my experiences and observations. I have owned my Prius now for 3 years and 71,000 miles.

First the brakes, I went to have the brakes checked and was told that I had used 20% of my pads and shoes. The fluid still looks and tests like new. It seems that my never need a brake job ever!

There have been many dire warnings about certain things I do with my car. Your experience may vary. I'm just going to share mine on a few issues that were once widely debated.

I coast in neutral about 15-20% of my total miles. I shift back and forth between D and N. I have been warned about this many times. The fact is, there has been no consequence from doing this other than increased fuel mileage. I limit this to less than 65 mph but I suspect that it doesn't matter. I mostly do it on back roads and on long coasts down gradual hills and up to red lights. My lifetime average is right at 57 mpg

I fill my tank into the filler neck and run it down until the math tells me I've used around 12 gallons. I fill with 12-12.5 gallons. I have not experienced decreased mileage or damage to my fuel pump as far as I can tell. I have gotten over 800 miles twice, 700 miles on a tank more than a dozen times and only a few times have I gotten less than 600 miles on a tank.

I have run out of fuel 4 times by cutting it too close. Once it was difficult to start and required me to power up around 20 times before it started because I went as far as I could and repeatedly restarted it to get to the top of a hill so I could coast to the station. I had pumped all the fuel out of the lines and it took a while to get fuel back to the engine. The other times it started right up after refueling. Some will think me an idiot and that's fine. I share my experience so others will know what may happen. There have been many horror stories that as far as I can tell were always based on guesses instead of experience.

I have had no problems with the car. I have put 3 quarts of mobil1 in every 10000 miles. I had it tested at a lab and found that I could have gone longer. I never rotated the tires and have gotten 42k out of them.

My wife has 51k on hers and her experience is virtually identical except for the running out of gas part.

This forum has been a big part of my Prius experience and I'd like to thank you all. There are more than 20 Prius on the road as a result of my car. Once people ride in it they often sell their suv and buy a prius. It's ya'lls fault.

The big message I am trying to deliver is that it's best to use your own judgement with the car. Ignore the worriers. Listen to those that have actual experiences to share and be ready to be pleasantly surprised with just how great a car you have purchased.

The Prius is the best commuter car ever built.

2. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ May 3 2007, 07:15 PM) [snapback]435197[/snapback]</div>
    Howdy Ray!

Thanks for the 71K update! I once got 95K on rear drum brakes on my 85 VW Cabriolet, but I think I'll get much beter than that on my Prius.

Tell me your coasting strategy. Do you pop it into neutral instead of gliding with the foot off the accelerator then back on a bit?

Lee

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ May 3 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]435197[/snapback]</div>
    I've been thinking about how to best summarize the Prius and I think this in a way does it. That said the car us so much more then an outstanding commuter!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ray,
    I don't see any mechanical issues with your Neutral use technique...I personally wouldn't do it due to safety concerns and such, but to each his/her own.

Regarding the filling into the filler neck, Galaxee has shown pictures of a damaged tank that required replacement due to overfilling. It certainly can happen. It may be that you don't 'over overfill' or something, but it is clearly a gamble to do that and a VERY costly repair.

Finally, congrats on the good record. I'm nearing 60k myself and have, similarly, had no issues and expect little or no brake wear. I'll start extending my oil change interval to 10k after my 60k service.

Did you have your PSD fluid or any coolants changed at 60K?

5. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hey Doc-
    Nope no fluid changes until 120,000. At that point, I'll do all the fluids and the plugs.

What damage occurred to the tank you mentioned?

No safety issue with the coasting bit. A little less trouble than feathering the peddle and shifting back and forth is automatic after a short while. If I should forget, the friction bakes are more than adequate on their own.

By the way Evan, thank you for all you've done for this community. You have had a huge impact on the Prius world and have used a steady demeanor all along the way. You're influence on this forum has helped to keep it respectful compared to others forums out there. I am very grateful to you.

6. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just started the coasting in neutral trick the other day. It seems easier to do, and more effective than trying to get a glide on. I've only got 27K on my 2005 prius, but no problems to report, either.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ May 3 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]435254[/snapback]</div>
    120k? How'd you pick that instead of the rec'd 100k? Several folks have changed at 60 and felt it was wise to do so due to the appearance of the fluids. I'm undecided though leaning toward a 60k PSD fluid change.

Couple threads:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...amp;hl=overfill
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...amp;hl=overfill

I believe you...likewise, however, I find the feathering instinctive now.

Thanks Ray, that's really kind man. I try to keep an even keel, not get burned out, and pitch the 'bad apples' as soon as they become apparent. I appreciate the compliment.

8. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hey Ray, thanks for sharing your experiences. Some people really have no clue how a prius works ;p. A few questions though. Why do u go for so long without refilling to the point that you sometimes run out of gas? Is there some advantage to this? ALso, whats the advantage of putting the prius in neutral instead of letting go of the gas? Does this use less gas in some way or does keeping it in drive slow the car more than in neutral?

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Evan- Thanks for the links. It is an interesting story. There seem to be plenty of people getting away with overfilling. I wonder if there was a defective part that caused this situation to be different or if not, what was the difference? I have filled up over 100 times and always add around a gallon after it clicks off. My wife does the same. I would hazard a guess that there are thousands of Prius owners that do the same thing. If overfilling routinely caused failure or replacement of the fuel system, it seems that Priuschat would be inundated with people searching out help with the problem like we see with other issues. Issues like this are how a lot of people find us.

I thought the radiator fluid was good for 120k I'll have to look a little closer as the time approaches. I guess I'm only going to have to do it once, regardless of 100k or 120k. I'm looking forward to a plug in by Toyota to replace my current Prius.

Nark- I drive in the country a lot. I decide which commute I'm going to fill on which is usually cutting it kind of close. If that drive comes along and I get distracted, ooops. It's just part of who I am. I guess another part of who I am is that it doesn't bother me at all to freely admit it in public. hehe

Coasting in N is the same as feathering the peddle in that it eliminates flow of energy through the inverter. Energy that flows needlessly through the inverter/battery results in lower mileage to to inherent conversion losses. N is much easier than feathering. I feather when the coast is short or in traffic and use N when the coast is longer and feathering would be tedious. Similarly, if I am stopped for a long time I use park rather than holding the brake peddle down. Of course, in either case, I have to remember to put it back in D.

10. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know this is a really stupid question, but how do you shift to neutral while driving? I tried doing it this morning, but couldn't get it. In fact, shifting to neutral in general is pretty tricky, could someone explain to me how to get it in that gear? (I've only had my car for a few months and have never needed to use it).

11. mini2prius

mini2prius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ May 3 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]435197[/snapback]</div>
    Wanna trade gas tanks?

12. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 4 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]435440[/snapback]</div>
    Just move the shifter to the left and hold it for a second or two. It doesn't do it instantly, presumably to keep us from shifting into neutral by accident.

I generally prefer to use the throttle when I'm at speed but I have started to use neutral at very low speeds, such as coasting through the parking lot in the morning. Holding a true glide with the pedal gets touchy below 15mph or so.

13. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought I read somewhere that the ICE idles while in neutral. Can anyone confirm that? If so, gliding would seem to be preferable.

BTW, thanks for sharing Ray. Good stuff!

14. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ May 4 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]435460[/snapback]</div>
    If the engine is cold the ice will idle when in neutral. I only use this technique when the engine is warm.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ May 4 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]435464[/snapback]</div>
    If the ICE is running when you put it in neutral it will continue to idle forever. If the ICE is off (zero RPM) when you put it in neutral it will stay at zero rpm until you go back into drive. It does not matter one iota if the ICE is warm or not.

16. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ May 4 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]435464[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, thanks for the report Ray!

Regarding ICE, above 42mph, ICE will still spin in neutral, but not consuming fuel. Unless you are in stealth, shift to N, then let it glide above 42mph on a down hill.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Incorrect. If you're in neutral with the ICE on, it will idle and
    consume [a modicum of] fuel, regardless of car speed. For zero
    consumption at higher speeds, you need warp-stealth.
    Neutral is reached by pushing the shifter over to the N position and
    HOLDING it there for a half-second or so, and then letting go. Watch
    for the N selected in the display. Why is it a timing trick? Because
    you must pass *through* the N position on your way to D or R, so the
    user interface makes the assumption that if you don't stop movement
    at that little junction, you didn't want N. [RTFM, yo.]
    One very good use of engine-off N is downhill when you can start
    below 42 mph, go to N, and wind up going faster than 42, still in
    neutral with the engine NOT spinning. MG1 is goin' like a bat out
    of hell, of course, but that's probably still less loss than hauling
    all those engine parts around. Around 69 mph you would hit the
    theoretical 10,000 RPM safe limit of MG1, but air resistance is
    likely to become a significant retarding factor by then. I call
    this "warp neutral", and welcome every long run of it I can do
    without interruption from traffic, lights, or excess speed developed.
    I just inspected/cleaned all my brakes, which I tend to try to do
    every spring after the winter crud. 52K or so and still plenty of
    meat left on all four. I'll try to get a pictorial up about it at
    some point; the front caliper slide pins are a point of vulnerability
    that I'd like more people to know about how to deal with.
    _H*

18. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Really? Maybe CAN-View didn't register the fuel consumed when ICE is on above 42mph in neutral.

19. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 3 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]435214[/snapback]</div>
    I think shifting into Neutral is a good idea. I've done it on I-90 when crossing Snoqualmie Pass from east to west. There is a big hill on the westbound side of the pass, and I can usually coast a few miles in neutral.

I don't like the way the Prius revs the engine up to 3k RPM when the battery bars reach the top. This will wear the engine out. Shifting to neutral, preventing the battery from getting fully charged, will stop the engine from revving so high.

Dave

20. mparrish

mparrish New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ May 3 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]435197[/snapback]</div>
    Ray, you are a soldier for the cause. :) Thanks.

I'm glad to hear about the lack of problems running out of gas. I may make a run at some very large tanks.

No doubt about it.