1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius breakdown(s)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Peter Cade, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Peter Cade

Peter Cade New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like my Prius...but.....:confused:
    About 6 months ago I was pulling out of a parking lot when all the warning signals on the panel lit up, and stayed lit. Additionally the gas display segments were flashing. A hasty read of the manual suggested that I head for my friendly Toyota dealer immediately. Fortunately (I thought) it was close enough to drive. I headed out only to realise very quickly that I was running on battery only (and the dealer wasn't THAT close!). I stopped & had it towed to the dealer. They hung onto it for over a week, with various stories about what was wrong.... non of them satisfactory. Apparantly (they said) it might have had something to do with the fuel sensor (I was low - first fuel warning - but by no means out of gas). Last week, exactly the same thing happened - this time with a full tank. same warnings and all... Now it's back at the dealers.

Anybody out there got any suggestions ???

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might want to find a new dealer. Not all of them are adept at diagnosing Prius problems.

Tom

3. Peter Cade

Peter Cade New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A new dealer...... the thought had crossed my mind !
    This is Toyota of Morristown though - One of the bigger Toyota dealership/service centers, with a very good reputation as far as I can tell.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you are close to another one, i would try it as well. if they determined it was a defective part, did not replace it the first time, now back in shop for 2nd time, i would give them about 5 minutes, waiting politely to hear them say they were replacing the part, before telling them to replace the part.

sounds like that hasnt happened.

5. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought mine from Toyota of Morristown, I think they are a good dealership/service repair, but your other choices are toyota on 46 near Lake Hopatcong, or Toyota (I believe on 46 as well) in Caldwell.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Blinking gas gauge? Sounds like a network problem. Tell them
    to take a hard look at the CANbus. Funny that it didn't crop
    up in the intervening 6 months, though. Reseating various ECU
    connectors may help.
    _H*