1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Bumper Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GAGendel, Aug 17, 2006.

1. GAGendel

GAGendel Junior Member

On vacation someone must have backed into my Prius with their trailer or bike carrier, cutting into the bumper. With some pushing and probing I haven't been able to notice any significant signs of underlying damage.

I see that I can pick up a new, painted bumper on ebay for about $500 (equal to my deductable). The questions are:

Is this a good idea?

How do I remove the bumper to determine whether there is any damage underneath and ultimately replace it?
    Basically, what are the steps and tools I'll need to do this?

Thanks!

Gary

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GAGendel @ Aug 17 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]304784[/snapback]</div>
    $500 deductable? I'd let insurance handle it unless you're realy good at bodywork. With all the hidden clips, and special adhesives, body work is more work then body these days. I got hit by a truck tire tread (2 wks from new) :angry: . I needed a new bumper, lower grille ,foglight and front spoiler, and my passenger door repaired, and it was over $1300. I paid the $500 deductable, and considered myself lucky. My point is, if your deductable is $500 or so, why hassle it? Mine was covered under comprehensive road damage (non-accident), so my rates didn't go up. It is my 3rd since similar incident (2 other cars).