1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius buyers should not have to pay for-

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by subjective, Jul 7, 2012.

1. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Administrative fees that are charged by most Toyota dealers of up to $700. The forced purchase of unwanted overpriced Toyoguard, poor quality mats, stripes, undercoating etc. There is no honest reason we as buyers should have to purchase side sticker Dealer add ons if we do not want them. Due to the strong dealer association lobby in each state, State atty generals look the other way rather than protect the consumer against these unethical practices. You can rest assured that those that answer back opposed to my strong opposition to these sales practices are "one of them" with their own agenda. State Attorney Generals should not let Auto dealers use false advertising in their ads or use the common practice of "low balling" to close a sale. Because of buyers service concerns and convenience many do not want to go out of their area to purchase a car. Dealers should not take advantage of this, but should be thankful for having these loyal customers.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly....these low-rent tactics are not exclusive to Toyota dealerships, but I've found out the hard way by having owned two Toyotas, and many other makes that they are great cars, "supported" by a less than great dealer network.....at least here.
    Bottom Line: You don't have to buy from a particular dealer, or even a particular make and model for that matter. When I bought my last car, I started negotiating from base MSRP. No doc fees...no "non-optional" options...no BS. I got a pre-approved loan from my credit union, and I went in armed with inventory sheets from the nearest 5 dealerships covering a 100-mile circle.
    Would I drive 100 miles to save a few hundred bucks?
    You bet!

Right now, Priuses are in high demand. People who own multi-million dealerships know this. They're not dummies. So? You have to work a little harder to get a good deal, especially if you trade your soon to be 'used to be' car in when you buy. That makes it a lot harder for you to get a good read on where you are money wise, and if you're not willing to sell your existing car before you buy??? Well, this usually means that you're leaving four figures on the sales person's desk.
    Why do you think they have such big, nice, fancy showrooms?

However (comma!!) It's not all stacked in their favor.
    You do have a few rounds in your bandolier.
    They don't have all of the high cards, and they still can't see your hand, unless you tip them off.
    YOU know....or you should know, just about how much they need to get for their car.
    YOU know....or you should know, just about how much your trade in is really worth, and you have the ability to sell it privately and gain the profit from its sale for yourself.
    You pick the dealer.
    You pick the make/model/color/options.
    YOU have the ability to negotiate the credit terms for yourself. I always get a pre-approved loan from a Credit Union, and then I'll let the Finance Manager try to beat this rate if he/she can. It's only happened to me once, by a quarter point. If you can't get pre-approved through a credit union, then you really shouldn't be buying a car.

If you get suckered into buying fictional paint/fabric protection packages, nitrogenated tires, three-figure documentation fees, $500 floor mats...well I personally do not think that the AG is going to be able to help you out. That's pretty much on you.
    Wage and price controls have already been tried in this country.
    They don't work.
    They don't even do that over in Europe (yet.)

LEARN how to buy a car. Shop around!!!!
    I always hear about people who are willing to drive across town to save $0.02 a gallon on gas, but they're unwilling to drive to a delaer that's 150 miles away.
    Be patient.
    Don't make a snap shot at a car that you've "fallen in love with."
    If you stop and think about it, you have a lot more rudder input over this transaction than you think that you do, because you know what?
    Even if you "have" to have a Prius, you still get to choose the where, and the when.

WE0H and ftl like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius buyers should not have to pay for gas.:cool:

4. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Stand on your principles, and dont buy one! I think you have every right to not to buy any car.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Order your Prius with exactly the options you want on it, nothing more. It takes 30 days to get it from Japan if it is already built and sitting in port ready to be loaded on the ship. Longer if it has to be built. Many options are installed in a US port so there are thousands of Prii on ships on their way in various flavors just needing a few options installed once they hit US soil.

Mike

6. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gulf States Toyota is a different beast. That is the only network of dealers that offer the Toyo Guard and other BS they add on for profit. It will be hard to find a Prius with nothing to little added on. You would have to purchase out of GST network and have it shipped in or driven back.