1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C 2 vs 3 Questions

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by dbv8787, Apr 13, 2012.

1. dbv8787

dbv8787 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I own an '02 Civic which I'm thinking of trading in for a Prius C, and I have a couple of questions on the 2 vs the 3.

I have no use for the moonroof, don't care about nav based on the poor reviews it's getting here (I'll buy an ext. gps). Based on this I was all set to get a 2, and then this morning I read in another thread how good the memory stick voice commands were for audio play. That is something I'm interested in although not sure it's worth extra just for that.

So my question is, if I have an iphone and ipod with music, can I use one of those and have it display the song title in the 2? I guess I would need to mount the iphone so I can see the screen, or is there a way to control the music via bluetooth on the 2?

Basically, considering my situation, should I get the 2 or 3? Thanks.

2. Prudence_K

Prudence_K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey there dbv8787,

I have an Android phone and you cannot see the artist or song title on the display when Bluetooth streaming it just says "streaming music" or something like that. It might be different with the I-Phone.

I am going to install an aftermarket stereo because for me the stock stereo is QUIET. Also, I want to be able to see the artist/song title when streaming music and a better display for the phone book with incoming calls. This should run me around $500. I have seen around the forums that getting an aftermarket stereo installed in the 3 might be trickier because of the full integration of the smart key. I would think that even an aftermarket stereo would have the functionality of voice command since you still have the microphone in the car for taking incoming calls. Someone else could probably speak to this far better than I can.

The difference from a 2 to a 3 is around $1200, depending on what you negotiate. If I were you, since you wanted less options than I did, I would go for the 2 and spend that cash on a sweet stereo. Which I guess is what I am doing. :p

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What model of iPhone do you have? What iOS version?

4. dbv8787

dbv8787 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have an iPhone 4s 5.1 iOS.

Thanks Prudence_K, I read about aftermarket installs I just never did that before so it makes me a little nervous.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. Prudence_K

Prudence_K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No problem! I forgot that you mentioned being able to control the music. You can skip tracks backwards and forwards via the steering wheel when in Bluetooth streaming mode. Pretty sweet. It is the only way I listen to music in the car right now. I am new to all this stuff so forgive me if you already know about it.

PS, I have never done an aftermarket install either. However, I was just in my friend's new Toyota Highlander and he just got a new stereo which ran him $1300 before installation! :eek: He has full navigation and even a dvd player. I don't need that stuff. He said they were able to wire the steering wheel controls functionality for an extra $30-$50. It also looked really nice, I honestly thought it came with the car. So, that sealed the deal for me having it done once the harnesses become available.

7. dbv8787

dbv8787 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, will that work with a 2? Or do I need a 3 to take advantage of that?

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Sorry, don't know. I was only asking about your iOS version to make sure you had support on the phone side. If you didn't, then it wouldn't matter what the car had, until you upgraded phones/software versions.

9. j_benj

j_benj Prius C Fan

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a bit biased since I have a 3 and I have a huge music collection. Having the touchscreen and the voice commands to me made the extra expense worth it. The nav works well enough for me and I don't have any serious issues with it as some others do here (it's better than my cheap TomTom, anyway and I don't have to run wires or have a stupid mount taking up space).

Being able to navigate to the albums/artists/songs/playlists I want to hear easily makes my driving experience much more enjoyable. And the ability to do it all without taking my eyes off the road is priceless to me.

10. dbv8787

dbv8787 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, j_benj is so convincing I'm very tempted to switch to a 3! I had the 2 all priced out and now I have to go back and figure out the best 3 pricing.

Or I could do the aftermarket install. Decisions, decisions...

11. j_benj

j_benj Prius C Fan

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I fear aftermarket installs. I don't trust anyone enough to rip my car/dash apart and I'm too lazy to do it myself. Plus, if you get the better factory deck it's covered by your warranty (and extended warranty if you choose to get one).