1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C 2 vs 3

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by beantownjoe, Mar 22, 2012.

1. beantownjoe

beantownjoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I will select my car tomorrow. However, I am still undecided on the 2 or 3. The main difference being the large display with nav and Entune. Not sure if I need this for $1800 extra. It seems that this is redundant to my portable nuvi and smart phone. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. BTW: I am 1st time Prius buyer and am very excited.
    Thanks
    Beantownjoe

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two.

Entune uses your smartphone anyway and the Two has Bluetooth for the "essential" ability to call hands-free.

3. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I was in the same boat last week; first time Prius buyer and all... I decided on the C2 for three reasons -

-Entune does nothing for me that my cell/pad can't do better

-The Nav system locks you into that head unit so you can never get an in-dash backup camera or upgrade your sound quality

-I could install my own system twice as nice for half the price

To each their own but for me the choice was obvious. That is, unless you need other features that are only available in a C3/4 package.

4. crel0x

crel0x New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sorta same boat as OP... I dont care about nav/touchtracer/moonroof though its the smartkey system that sounds kinda cool - btw what do you mean locks you in? I imagine you can still replace it if you wanted to?

5. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    The C3 has vehicle-specific functions that can only be accessed using the head unit. I forget which ones but they were important, and finding a replacement head unit to fill that role would presumably be near impossible.

6. FotoCEO

FotoCEO New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Smartkey system was my deciding factor. I really wasn't planning on getting Nav, but don't make me get my key out! After 8 years with Smartkey, I would be really annoyed to not have it (I currently drive an '04 Pruis, factory loaded), it is my favorite feature of my Prius. It's the little things!

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From a GenIII Owner perspective, I like having the NAV in the dash as opposed to using my phone. I am not sold on Entune, however. It is a pain in the neck to get it to connect and even then it sounds terrible. Streaming Pandora from my phone to the stereo sounds MUCH better. The last few times I have listened to Pandora through Entune it was like listening to a 1960s recording through a single speaker. Ugh

I may try out different setting for now it is a disappointment.

8. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you know if steering wheel bluetooth controls can easily be made compatible with an aftermarket head unit? A lot of stereo installers are telling me they can't do it.

9. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    As of now to answer that question I have to start with an assumption - another user on this board who works for Toyota confirms they've had the same radio wiring harness for over 20 years. Checking online sites that sell wire harnesses and steering wheel adapters they generally do not discern between different Toyota models or years - the part number for the adapter is the same - the difference in which steering wheel adapter you buy is (sometimes) based on the MFG of the aftermarket head unit and if the stock Toyota system has a stock amplifier system or not. The former is cut and dry while I'm still trying to find an answer to the latter:confused: (C2). I'm assuming Toyota didn't rewrite the rules for the Prius C but also expect some trial/error/RMAs once I begin my dvd/nav/backup camera/steering integration/custom dash kit fab/speakers/sub/amp install next month. Since the C1/2 doesn't have a guide yet on how to do this I'll start a new thread and post progress/pics to help other peeps from making the same mistakes I will surely encounter along the way.

1 person likes this.
  10. rmojo

rmojo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't wait to see your progress AD.

11. andrewa

andrewa New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Is it possible to get the smartkey added on?

12. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    That technology exists for aftermarket installation on any vehicle. If you want it to look OEM then I'd recommend to wait to buy the parts from a wrecked c3/4 or the parts dept at your Toyota dealer should be able to order the necessary components. Be prepared to pay for the latter though...

13. tonia taffaro

tonia taffaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    i debated on this very question myself. the extra $1800 is worth it for the better rims alone. plus you get 2 extra speakers in the III. i am anxiously awaiting my new prius as well.

14. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I wanted the upgraded sound system with NAV and SAT radio. I am loving the SAT radio by the way.

15. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't used it that much, and my three-month trial is coming to an end soon. I just received a renewal offer from Sirius, only $14.99 a month...I don't think so.

On other forums here there are reports of getting six months for around $25 after heavy phone negotiation.

Be careful, though; I downloaded the Sirius Customer Agreement, and once they have your credit card info they can automatically extend your service and charge you the going rate, without notifying you or getting your consent, as soon as your renewal comes up:

"Your Subscription may automatically renew under this Agreement. Your Subscription will continue for the length of the initial term you select on your plan and at the end of your prepaid Subscription, it will automatically renew for
    additional prepaid periods of the same length unless you choose to cancel prior to that renewal, by calling us at 1-866-635-2349. Your account will automatically be charged (or you will be billed, as applicable) at the rates in effect at the time of renewal. "

And check this article on their fraudulent billing practices.

16. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I commute more than 1.5 hrs a day and I like staying up with the news via SAT radio. I listen to Bloomberg/CNN/BBC and the World Radio Network (which is a interesting blend of broadcasts from mostly European countries) and NPR. Occasionally I go to local AM and FM stations too. When the news is too much to listen to I dial in SiriusXM Chill.:coffee:

I plan to use the approach talked about in other threads and get the 1 yr for $75 when I get near the end of my trial.

17. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are so right about your post. In 2011 on another new car, at the end of 3 Months they bugged us to death after we told them we did not want the service, on our telephone and by email. We never gave them our credit card #, yet they got it someway, and charged the card. The only way we can think of that this would be possible is by some clandestine way from our dealer or our computer! We made it clear to the car manufacturer, dealer and directly to stop the service and billing our card immediately!

18. jgestar

jgestar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good enough, but you forgot the most important and productive step. Make it clear to your credit card company that you do not approve the charges. Your card company has much more impact and ability to shred red tape.

Tom

19. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three