1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c 3 question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by 9br3ak3r, Dec 18, 2023.

1. 9br3ak3r

9br3ak3r New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have been told it's not good to have a hybrid prius sit without running for longer than a couple days. My wife is going out of town and will be taking the prius. She plans on leaving it at a family members hours for about 2 weeks while she is gone. Is this OK to do?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is only a problem with older Prius because NiMH battery chemistry discharges when sitting and older packs will have cells that discharge at different rates.

The best preventive for this challenge is before turning the car off for two weeks: put the emergency brake on and left foot on brake, then put car in drive and floor the accelerator with left foot still on the brake. This is called forced charging! It will give your battery a full charge so any self-discharge issues are less likely to turn into a problem.

That being said... There was once a long haul truck driver on here who bought an old Prius and didn't get back to it for more than a year and it started up just fine.

9br3ak3r likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd have more concerns with an old one.

2 weeks for a 2016 should not be a big deal.

9br3ak3r likes this.