1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c and Honda Fit - some impressions

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Mar 10, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so I got to sit in a Prius c Three for a few moments at Fremont Toyota (about the closest Toyota dealer to my house. I use them a lot for looking, but, long story, never bought a car there).

The fronts Prius c seats look an awful lot like those in the regular Prius. The driver's side lowered down quite a bit and it had a nice tilt back on the seat bottom. I'm really tall, 6'2" with 35" legs (long) and the legroom was pretty darn good in the c. I would be quite comfortable driving it.

The steering wheel had telescope and it appeared to be centered quite well in front of the seat (the liftback is a bit skewed to the left). I'm not sure the steering wheel tilted down quite as much as I'd like to see, but it would probably suffice. I don't notice too much about the dashboard as the salesman was kinda pushy and hoping I'd trade in my 3 month old car on it.

With the driver's seat slid fully back, I could see the legroom behind was pretty scant. I could actually get in behind driver's seat like this, but it reminded me a lot of the legroom of an Insight in this configuration, but with more headroom in c for sure. The remedy of course would be to slide the front seat forward a few inches, and most people are not 6'2" and would have the driver's seat slid forward.

I could see the load floor was just about flush with the lip of the hatch. It's a pretty cozy cargo area, but to be expected in a car of that length.

I looked at the Fit at Honda across the street. The Fit's load floor is lowered about 4" more than c. The c's floor is raised likely because of the hybrid battery. The Fit's cargo area is pretty short front to back like c, but the height is a good 4" taller.

I'm not a big fan of Fit's driver's seat. There is no height adjuster and the seat bottom seems to not have much tilt that cradles the driver like the c does. I suppose shorter drivers would find it alright. There is plenty of headroom for me in Fit. This one didn't have a sunroof. The c's moonroof cut into headroom, but I had a couple inches or so to spare.

The Fit's steering wheel is pretty nice. It also telescopes and tilts, but it tilts quite a bit lower than in c (and all Prius). The steering wheel also seems a little larger and more prominent. I think the wheel is round whereas the c wheel is a little oval. Honda's steering wheels tend to be a little more vertical when tilted down than Toyota's which I like.

The rearseat room of the Fit was a little more and part of that is because the front seat doesn't slide back quite as far as the c. There might be an inch or two more of front to back seating room in Fit.

The Fit is an awesome package no doubt. It's the top rated subcompact car these days. Reviewers love how it drives too.

The Prius c looks quite good also. Nothing felt cheapish to me. I'm sure it's screwed together well and built to last. Little sacrifice in headroom, rear seat room, but can gain it back by sliding forward a tad. Little loss of cargo height in rear, but respectable for a subcompact.

I told the salesman I'll be keeping my 2011 Prius to which he said he could make modifications to increase the rear room of the c. He's a retail salesman just doing his job to sell a car. That's what they do, sell, sell. I wouldn't want the job, yuck :)