1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C battery Issues

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Kalo, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Kalo

Kalo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    So My boss's 2013 Prius got the red triangle of death and a code to replace battery. He doesn't wanna spend $3500 bucks again so asked if I could check it out. So I pulled the hybrid battery out and opened it up. Tested with a meter and all modules measured at 8.3. I tried to load measure it and I do not know If I didn't do that right but they all measured 8.3 still. Am I doing something wrong or Is there another reason the hybrid battery code came up? Could the Battery be ok and something else is the issue? Dealer said replace battery because that's the code that cameup. Is It a smarter to choice to just buy a new battery an just install it so he still saves a couple thousand?

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Paging @TMR-JWAP , @2k1Toaster , @ericbecky , @Raytheeagle
    Battery troubleshooting assistance please.
    I know @2k1Toaster has a DIY battery kit with new cells for Gen 2 & Gen 3. for $1600 shipped. I do not know if he has developed a version for Prius c.

EDIT: What is the condition of the 12 volt auxiliary battery? I doubt it is the case here, but a failing auxiliary battery can cause the computers to generate strange trouble codes.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can hopefully find the part close to around $2,000. and diy it. how are the bus bars, any corrosion? have you cleaned the cooling fan yet?

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Can you post a copy of the readout the dealer supplies with the codes?

How many miles on your bosses Prius?

How did you load test and did you look at the hv battery cooling fan to see if it was clogged?

Keep us posted (y).

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.