1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Bench Seats

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by ElectricCarFan, Mar 19, 2014.

1. ElectricCarFan

ElectricCarFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've had a fondness for Classic & older cars such as cars made in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Cars such as the old Buicks, and Cadillacs. I drive an 1995 Olds Eighty Eight that I take good care of and plan to drive until it dies. I prefer these vehicles, however they simply don't build them like they used to. I've found you've got to go to the hybrid vehicles and EV's to get the awesome build quality, quietness, reliability, longevity, easy maintenance, and etc that used to be common in the old days. Not to mention gasoline isn't $0.25 a gallon anymore. Additionally, I enjoy the styling of the good old days but I understand that the Prius isn't too fancy and or old for that matter.

I love my Oldsmobile's Bench seats and I'd really love to have them in a Prius C. They'd be especially nice since the C doesn't have a lot of room. Its small and cramped and therefore I'd like all the room I can get. I'd like to take out the buckets and drop in a bench from a truck or something. A Tacoma, or Tundra maybe would fit. A bench seat from an old Ranger I think could fit.

The hardest part would be getting past that center column that goes between the seats. I thought that since the Prius C is Drive by Wire, that maybe I could relocate the drive selector to someplace else. What do you guys think? Would it be possible to swap out the Buckets and drop in a Bench?

2. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good idea but not enough air bags

3. ElectricCarFan

ElectricCarFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Air bags don't really matter all that much for Bench Seats. They have Bench Seats in trucks these days and there isn't any airbags to protect the middle passenger. Besides that I don't really care about the air bags anyway. Air bags are just another thing I've got to replace on it when they inevitably go off. I once had a 1994 Dodge Shadow, after 15 years of driving without the airbag deploying they went off. They went off not because of an accident (no, I'm a good driver) but because I hit a pothole on the expressway and it triggered it. Their wasn't anything else wrong (not even a bent rim) just the airbags.

The next day I cut it out and Superglued the steering-wheel back together (since it was torn in the center). To replace them it would have been a $1000 easy. I think the C has more than enough airbags to keep everybody safe. They are up to 9 airbags (with curtains and everything). I would think that would be enough especially for a car that small. My Shadow only had one (on the steering wheel) and it was a little bigger. But, maybe that is why Toyota couldn't mass produce the C with Bench seats. I don't know.

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Isn't there an air bag in the seat back?

5. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    im sure you can put bench seats. but you wouldnt legally be able to have 3 people in front row. it would also make the car "unsafe" since you will be losing some air bags and such. the same goes for trying to put race seats in the car.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Will you be looking for an 8 track player as well? ;)

SCH-I535

7. HotDogWater

HotDogWater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

I think what Bingee was referring to is that the side airbags are in the seats, and you'd lose these if you swapped the seats out. Also, technology has come a long way since 1994 - 20(!) years ago.

8. ucmenhvn

ucmenhvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think the down side is that if you ever got into an accident and there was injury the insurance company would not cover the accident due to improper equipment.

9. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't want to seat a third person up front, just wants additional room in the front. I'm sure you can relocate the center column. But I'm not sure of the cost of doing that, and getting a custom seat bracket to fit the bench seat. Also, I'm not sure if an already existing bench seat would fit in our Prius C. So that might be a custom job as well. Good luck, and if you find one that works, please let us know.

10. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why not move the back seat to the front?