1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c gives me 16Km/ltr. Help me.

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Syed Rizvi, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Syed Rizvi

Syed Rizvi New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    I have purchased a used Prius c (Aqua), Model 2012 "S-class" 6 months back, imported by someone with a meter millage of 71,500. I heard that it gives 22-24 Km/ltr, but what I am getting right from day one is 16Km/ltr. I got it computerized checked by Toyota Pakistan. They tuned up the car, changed the spark plugs, but there is no change. Please help me out.

#1 Syed Rizvi, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  2. InPriusLove

InPriusLove Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It takes attention to how heavily you use the gas pedal, and how easily you brake. If you are using the gas pedal all of the time you are not giving the car its opportunity to exhibit its ability to glide. The more it glides, the higher your gas mileage accomplishment will be. Braking, if done well, will maximize the hybrid battery for longer periods of electric driving. Electric driving can't really happen if you keep the foot down on the accelerator.

3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is unreal, your getting 10 mpg ! You should be getting 40-50 mpg. It is a hybrid, right? Study Prius Hybrid Generation 2 basic maintenance instructions. Go over each one, doing the simplistic first. Somebody screwed over that car bad. Good Luck

How you drive makes a small difference, in this case you have maintenance problems.

Gen 2, Maintenace and Troubleshooting.

Jack your car up and make sure all wheels spin easily, in neutral.

You have a pisspooor mechanic.

#3 Andyprius1, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat!

16 should be about 37 mpg instead of 50 rated. i would start with the sticky that asks a number of questions. those answers will help us help you.

in the meantime, check the health of your 12 volt battery, and pump up your tyres. make sure they are all the same model and low rolling resistance. check your oil level and air filter.

5. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Gas mileage for the first few kilometres is very poor because the engine runs to warm itself up in preparation for intermittent use. So if you're doing a lot of short trips then that would probably explain it.

6. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't buy that, not 10 mpg. I have a C also, I always get 40-50 mpg with higher trip.

Merged.

Sorry, I computed wrong, should be 14 miles X 3.9 or 54.6 MPG. THAT IS ACCEPTABLE. if you want better mileage you have to drive conservatively and let glide as much as possible. You know, you can also let it glide in neutral, then it uses NO energy.

#6 Andyprius1, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  8. InPriusLove

InPriusLove Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Gee, rocket scientists we may not be, but it is a simple thing. Recently because of rushes to get to places I have been running it hard and getting low mileage. A liter is a bit more than a quart. 4 quarts are a gallon. If we mix metrics with standard then it is 64km to approx a gallon. Sure I could use a calculator. So converting comes to about 39.

37 is close enough. Either way, we tend to cry if it is in the 40's. You had a dealer check it. About the tires/tyres however you spell it, you should use low rolling resistence tires. You also want to make sure that the wheelbase of your tires matches the original spec for the model of the car. Check about additions to the car, or what you added as carry weight. Put in a bottle of Techron. And I second the suggestions made by bisco.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    andy, andy, andy...

ztanos and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The 16 km/l that the OP refers to is 6.25 litres per 100km, which is actually pretty good for short trips, considering it usually takes me about 1km of travel to get the fuel consumption down to below 10 litres/100km. So I think his report is very consistent with trips of only, say, 5 km or so. But of course there are a lot of other variables such as hills, temperature and weather conditions that also play a very big role, not to mention how aggressive he is with the accelerator.

Tyler S likes this.
  11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    37.66 mpg, to be more precise, but let's not quibble... ;)

Obviously, driving style, short trips, etc. could bring it that low...

12. Syed Rizvi

Syed Rizvi New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies. I have learned all these hybrid technics like slightly lifting the pressure from gas pedal and using brakes from distance to charge the battery etc. and they all really help me a lot. Is there anything has to do with more millage i.e. 71k+ as my colleague has the same model with 14k millage having average of 22km/l.

One more thing, here how I am calculating the average, fill up the tank in 30 liters and set the trip A and B to zero. Run till last bar on the gauge, gives 485 - 495 on trips and 20-22 on the average trip. However, if you divide the 485 by 30, then it is 16.1km/l. Which one is correct? After tank fill-up it shows 640 as "Range" but end up giving 485 only.

I will also get the tires checked and 12 Volt battery too. Just for my understanding what 12V battery has to do with the better mileage as compare to weak hybrid battery?

#12 Syed Rizvi, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  13. InPriusLove

InPriusLove Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A weak 12v becomes parasitic and unstable.

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some (not all) failure modes of a 12 volt battery result in one shorted cell, so it can't charge above 10 volts. If this happens the inverter will expend continuous power trying to charge it back to over 12 volts, uselessly. Power that could have gone to propelling you down the road.

Remember the 12 volt battery powers the computers, so they cannot test the 12 volt battery as it's failure modes cause the computers to become unreliable.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  15. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Ultimately the number of litres you pump into the tank and the number of kilometres you drove since the last fill-up give you the true fuel economy, assuming you fill the tank equally both times. There's always a slight bit of variation on how full you can get the tank, but it's the most reliable indication of fuel economy.

I find that the l/100km fuel consumption reported by the Prius C is always a little bit optimistic. The true fuel economy as measured by litres pumped is usually around 5% more than that indicated by the car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In regards to fill-ups, there is no way to determine when the tank is full, it could vary by a gal each time you "fill up" just accept the cars computerized figures.

Merged.

Sorry, I was using 22-24 Km/Ltr, // so, 3.9l to a gal // and 16Km/ l X ..625 = 10 mpg X 3,9 = 39 mpg

So we are back to unacceptable again, however, if the Op has improved this by better driving techniques, then the matter is solved.

To the OP: Welcome to Prius Chat.

#16 Andyprius1, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  17. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting.

18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Syed, even a mis-calculation of .1 of a gal can result in a error between measured and Prius computerized read outs. Professionals that measure fuel consumption in a laboratory environment are also beset by factors they cannot control. Pressure, temperature, etc.

19. Syed Rizvi

Syed Rizvi New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies specially the detailed reply on weak 12V battery, now I understand.

I will get the battery (12V) and tires checked over the weekend and get back on it.

20. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    Mileage depends heavily on traffic conditions and time of day you drive, if you are constantly driving during congested hours with lot of stop and go traffic and during midday when the temperature is high (its around 36C here in LK so I suppose its equal or worse in PAK) then its not that surprising.

Anyway check the tire pressure, Toyota recommended is 33 psi but if road conditions are poor stick to 31 or 32 psi, also check if you are driving in ECO mode.

Also be aware that the odometer can be changed so the 71k (or 14k for that matter) might be not the actual.

I've met Aqua owners who have achieved more than 37 Km/L during long trips but do less than 20 in city.

#20 AQUA-K, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016