1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c is 'Aqua' in Japan. Will return 94mpg japan cycle (61 us)

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by slayerhk47, Sep 28, 2011.

1. slayerhk47

slayerhk47 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the c is getting a bit more info out about it. Looks good. Hopefully we will see some official pictures soon :pray:

Prius c is now 'aqua'

3 people like this.
  2. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  3. er86

er86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am probably stating the obvious, but Toyota does have the option of registering for more info as it becomes available on their web site.

I am looking forward to this model hitting the market since the size of the vehicle is similar to what I drive today. I have rented a variety of vehicles over the last year for out-of-town trips since I don't trust my elder car with long-distance trips, but dislike the larger ones...feel like I am piloting a cruise liner. :cool: I hate to say goodbye to my Pontiac, but at 15+ years of age 2012 may be the year to upgrade.

4. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Prius c sounds great for my son. Wait a minute, he's only 11. Time goes fast....

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By the time junior gets finished with driver's ed, the 'c' might be widely available.;)

6. Cognato

Cognato Junior Member

The base price of $23,520 seems a bit high for the market. I can see it topping out at that and starting at about $19,500.

7. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Retaining the Prius powertrain with the 1.8 liter engine and improving fuel economy by 25%? this is hard to believe! weight saving cannot contribute so much.
    I think we have to wait to more official data.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    that's only 2km/L more than the standard Prius under the same cycle.

9. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is another piece of coverage about Aqua:

Toyota Prius C undergoes name change, comes out feeling 'Aqua' blue -- Engadget

I suspect the economy is a function of weight. I notice that the `12 Camrys, with the same engines as before and less weight, have better fuel economy. The manufacturers have just begun getting current tire and suspension technology to make the light car work well.

10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are confusing between the two Japanese cycles.
    Prius gets 32 km/l on the (newer) JC08 and 38 km/l on the (older) 10-15 cycle.
    The 40 km/l for aqua was quoted on JC08 (however, this may be a mistake in the report?).

1 person likes this.
  11. Cognato

Cognato Junior Member

Here is a report from Autobloggreen.

"Toyota's upcoming compact hybrid, previewed by the Prius C Concept, will reportedly launch in January 2012 in Japan wearing the Aqua name, according to news outlet Nikkei.

The compact gas-electric is expected to carry a fuel economy rating of 40 kilometers per liter (94 miles per gallon U.S.) on Japan's generous JC08 evaluation cycle. That works out to be roughly equal to an EPA combined rating of 61 mpg U.S. For comparison, the 2011 Toyota Prius is rated at 32 km/l (76.7 mpg U.S.) on Japan's JC08 test cycle, yet is rated at 51 mpg city, 48 mpg highway in the U.S.

In an effort to keep its price in check, Toyota Motor will reportedly use the standard Prius powertrain, including its 1.8-liter gas engine, in the Aqua, which we're guessing will still be called the Prius C here in the U.S. Reports hint that Toyota will target a starting price of 1.7 million yen ($22,236 U.S. at today's exchange rate) for the Aqua. That's roughly 300,000 yen ($3,924 U.S.) cheaper than the 2011 Prius. We'd expect to see the Prius C sport a similar discount over the conventional Prius when it arrives in the States.

Toyota says the Prius C will launch in the U.S. sometime in 2012 and that $20,000 is its preliminary price target."

12. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So can we trust this, is it final? 60 mpg combined is serious. That's not terribly far off from the first generation insight, which had no more power than two and a half hamsters and two seats. Not to hate on it, but seriously, even a small four seater this is superb. This is why Toyota is the king of hybrid and has no serious competition right now.

If it REALLY will start at $20k and have 60 mpg it's going to sell an absolutely sick number of cars.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My wife has tentatively chosen this car over the PIP.

I don't know how well it will sell in the US, but I think the car will be a serious threat to diesel cars in Europe.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

unlikely to the challenge of diesels - due to pricing... But would it double Toyota's hybrid sales? Yes.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I guess those "spy shots" a few month back of a vehicle that looked very much like a small Prius or Yaris/Fit looking hatchback were NOT the Prius C?

Oh well, 60+ mpg, and I have to be interested.

I wonder if those hood mounted and placed headlights will translate into production? I don't know how I feel about them, I think I'd have to see it in person.

It's funny with autos, but often things that look great in pictures, I don't like near as much in person, and also things I thought I wouldn't like, I find I actually do like in person.

In photo's? I can't get a feel for how I would like or dislike those headlights.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ I thought the picture looked *great*, but I'm used to concept cars being much more adventuresome than the marketed product.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not really - Look at the Camry. Bigger more powerful ICE, and yet the 2012 hybrid gets WAY higher mpg's than the Gen I camry hybrid.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen a thread in another car forum, a generic one, and the results are extremely unusual for a Prius. Instead of a few people saying it's nice and the rest going on with negativity the responses from many people were almost universally positive. Liked its appearance, loved the price.

Further cements my original sense that if they actually can pull off a 4-5 seat 60 mpg combined car for about $20k their greatest problem will be making enough of them.

I also see cars like this a genuine threat to the very small (but slowly growing) EV niche. If you look at the convenience of gas and the operating costs and compare something so cheap and efficient as this to an EV you're left really with some difficult defense of buying the EV that is unless you just absolutely detest gasoline.

19. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You've got a good point there. I'd love to have a Nissan Leaf but then I'd consider a subcompact Prius as well.

Myself I'm in a multicar household so I could see doing

Big Prius* + Small Prius or
    Big Prius* + Small EV or
    Plug in Prius + Small Prius or
    Plug in Prius + Small EV

* By Big I mean any Prius Gen II size or bigger. I'd consider the "V" or the Gen III or even a newer Gen II the next time I go to replace the bigger car.

the small car role is up in the air, right now it's a Saturn SL2 (folding rear seats with a pass through to the trunk was the best option before the Gen II made hatchbacks a reasonable option in the USA again**). I could see this being a Leaf, iMeiv, small Prius, pretty much whatever is the most economical and doesn't make me regret the day I give up the older Gen II Prius. I'm assuming the oldest car will be replaced first and keep the leapfrog / hand me down cycle in order.

** is Why did Toyota overprice the Matrix and why did so many other car manufacturers create a self fulfilling prophecy of making hatchbacks nobody wanted at the same time people wanted hatchbacks. I can't name the exact time period but there was a void in US market hatchbacks for quite a while after SUVs entered the picture and station wagons, hatchbacks, and Minivans all went to hide.

If the Prius C really does it's job I'll consider the two small car scenarios

small Prius + small Prius or
    small Prius + small EV

All it really takes is a hatch big enough to put that 55" TV*** in the box into the back of whichever car is bigger. If the smallest Prius can handle that task without making me rent a truck or hook up a trailer I'll downsize to that level as I replace cars.

*** That's assuming someday a 55" TV is a $100 item I can buy on a limited budget. I don't expect to buy any Prius as a new vehicle so by the time EVs and compact/subcompact hybrids are common enough on the used market for me to get one I'm thinking an oversized TV will be a common cheap item. And I'm assuming TVs will still be large box items not projectors or flexible displays that could roll up in a tube container.

Oh, and TV's aren't the only bulky thing I'll ever buy. I just think it's a good example to consider. Others want a surfboard to fit, or bike, or ...

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The void would be between 2001 and 2005 when Honda killed the Civic hatchback and brought the Fit. (For us, we got the Echo Hatchback as a 2004 MY but I don't think that was available in the US).