1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Key Not Turning

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dralzz, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Dralzz

Dralzz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So my girlfriend's Prius C isn't starting. We put the key in the ignition, and it doesn't even turn. When I depress the brake, there is a whirring noise in the front of the car for about five seconds (I guess that's the thing that recharges the batteries from braking). I tried jumping it with my car at the jump point under the hood, but that didn't allow the Prius to start.
    The information screen lights up when the doors are ajar and the interior lights work. I went under the rear passenger seat, thinking maybe I should try jumping the battery down there, and decided to test the terminals with my multimeter. The battery registered 12.7V. I went back around to the jump point under the hood, and that one registered 12.5V. So that implies that the problem might not be the battery. And if not the battery, I'm stumped. The car is eight days old. We bought it, new, last Friday. So I just don't know where to go from here. I'm reasonably experienced with normal cars, but this Prius is a bit beyond me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    This sounds like a mechanical issue with one of the related locks rather than anything to do with the battery. If the key isn't turning at all, check first that the car is in Park and if it is, then as per the manual:

minkus likes this.
  3. Dralzz

Dralzz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That was it.
    We had some friends over looking at the car last night, and one of them must've turned the wheel without the key in it. I actually just got off the phone with him, telling me that was probably the issue.
    Thanks for the help.

Rob.au likes this.