1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Maintenance Cost

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by taal, Aug 23, 2015.

1. taal

taal New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Hey All,

So in general it seems hybrids have a lower cost to maintain, purely from a mechanical point of view, but I had the following concern and wanted to get the thoughts from owners:

As had been my experience in the past dealerships charge an arm and a leg, recommend repairs that are not required, ... I can go on and on. As a result after my warranty expires I generally always start taking the car to a local mechanic, well a midas (in Canada) but I've had very good experiences there.

On to the question; With a prius or a hybrid, is this still possible for things other than the regular maintenance (e.g. oil changes) I ask because I assume a lot of mechanics are not familiar with the inner workings of a hybrid, so for you owners out there, as a result do you end up continuing to take your car to a toyota dealership for service even past the warranty ? If so do you not find this ends up costing a lot more.

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most items on a prius can be serviced anywhere. a few things will need special tools and training. hang around here, and you'll see them from time to time. for your first 100k, it's nothing but tyres. oil and filters. all the best!(y)

Fahfoofnik likes this.
  3. taal

taal New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    That's awesome thanks ! I'm just a bit torn between: Prius C / Corolla / Honda Fit / Honda Civic. Ok I know that's a pretty wide range, for the longest time we thought the prius c was too small, but I've just about convinced my self that's not going to be the case for 99% of the use cases, so now that size is no longer a factor I believe the Prius C (2015 technology package in canada == trim 5 in the states I believe) is back to the top of the list.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good luck with your decision!

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any major repairs would not be for 10 years plus and or 100K miles plus. So I think you are worrying about something this will not happen for many years. More mechanics will become familiar with Hybrids over the years as well.