1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Side Window Wipers

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hans Unrat, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Hans Unrat

Hans Unrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My wife's 2012 Prius C's windows pull away from the wipers when opened. As a result, all four windows will not clear the condensation or rain drops while opening, I have to get a squeegee and clean the windows manually. I have never owned or seen a car that had this problem. Went to the dealer and checked a new Prius C on the lot, looks like a design flaw since that car had the same problem. Any comments?

2. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There are no side wipers... I have noticed, though, that my C2 does the same thing. Rolling the windows down to clear condensation or other moisture does zip, have to get out and manually clear the side windows.

3. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my PiP does the same thing

4. Hans Unrat

Hans Unrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    What I meant by wipers is the rubber backed weatherstrip which in every other car on the planet (unless it deteriorates from exposure to the elements) wipes the window as it is lowered or raised. Aside from being annoying, I would say that this is a design flaw that could be dangerous, thanks for your reply!

kevtan and RocMills like this.
  5. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not certain I see the danger, off hand, but it certainly incredibly annoying and inconvenient!

6. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    This annoys me too. Even pushing on the window, which I had to do in my previous car, doesn't help. But I never thought the purpose of that material was to clear the windows. I always just thought it was a nice bonus. In that way, I don't really think of it as a design flaw, necessarily. Unless I'm wrong, and that really is a feature manufacturers consider and purposefully design.

Hans Unrat likes this.
  7. firstrival

firstrival Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I don't understand why they designed it like that.

8. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My concern with those things not working... where is the watering going? Is the water that hits the side windows going INSIDE the door?

9. Hans Unrat

Hans Unrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When the windows are closed, the weatherstrip butts up just fine against the glass, so very little water will get in, but as soon as the window is even cracked, there is a sizeable gap that could let leaves and other matter fall to the bottom of the door, where they could clog up the drain holes. Not a good idea.

10. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, same occurrence here on my '11 Hatch. It is annoying. Even went out and bought a squeegee. Not sure if this is how Toyota's are designed. But the moisture did clear on my previous vehicles, when I put the windows down.

11. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is NOT how all Toyota's are designed! My truck, my Corolla, and my Echo did not have this problem. I'm still concerned about where the water goes if it isn't being diverted by the proper window seals.

12. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I do not know, in my last car, I pressed on the window as I was rolling it up, meaning moisture was whisked off into the door. I never worried about it or had any problems. But maybe I'm a big dummy :p

13. CMJAnew

CMJAnew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Scion xB did the same thing (did not wipe the glass). Only issue, must roll the window(s) down at the intersection after a quick wand wash/rinse.

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Cars have a plastic moisture liner inside the door that prevents the water from getting to the door panel. The doors themselves have drain plugs that let the water out. Most cases there isn't a lot of water that builds up in the doors, but the PC does have a bigger gap than most cars and could get a buildup of leaves or other debris to clog the drain plugs. Usually the felt strips prevent this, must have been a cost and weight savings. Probably the same reason they didn't include sound deadener.

RocMills likes this.
  15. CMJAnew

CMJAnew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There is a visible flex in the inner door panel when rolling down the drivers window too

16. Hans Unrat

Hans Unrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I still drive a 1985 Peugeot 505, and I had to adjust the window mechanism on its windows because of wear which made it necessary to push on the window to clear it. Considering that the car is 28 years old and has over 230k miles on the clock, I can live with that. Before changing careers, I had worked as an auto mechanic for 30 years, and I have never seen any car with this problem, which is the reason I am confident in calling it a design flaw. Thank you for your reply!

17. Hans Unrat

Hans Unrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for your reply, ztanos. I haven't taken the door panel off yet to look at the regulator and the how the window position changes as it moves up and down, but the weatherstrip is there, so there is no cost or weight savings, it just isn't effective in wiping the window or keeping the gap closed to prevent debris from falling in when the window is even cracked a couple of inches. I am planning to take a panel off soon to see if any modifications can be made to change the way the window tracks.

18. Hans Unrat

Hans Unrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for your reply! With the effort to save more and more weight, the flexing isn't too unusual. I have seen inner door panels on some cars move as much as a quarter inch when the window opens or closes. This can eventually lead to metal fatigue and cracking of the door around the mounting points of the regulator or motor, not something to look forward to.

19. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have always just used a squeegee to remove the morning dew/condensation from all the windows and mirrors. Here in South Florida and having no garage it is a must to do this almost every morning. I don't think I've ever had a car that if you rolled the windows down the condensation is effectively squeegeed by the just rolling them down. o_O

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I went out and double checked... I should have done this before as the last time I checked it was dark. Hans Unrat, you are absolutely correct. The felt lining is there, it is just the thinnest I have ever seen on a car. Might explain why it is virtually ineffective.