1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C stole my heart

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by 3bahres, Feb 27, 2018.

1. 3bahres

3bahres New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    We just purchased a 2012 C one with almost exactly 100k on it from a dealer.
    It had one previous owner and no accidents and clean title.

We love this thing although I have some reservations about it handling Maine winters, we live in the mountains and it was routinely -25 for days at a time here. I worry about it starting in winter let alone handling should I prepare now for next winter?

Also as far as the first time experience of buying from a dealer for my husband and I...I feel like we got a decent deal, 3.94% for 48 months at 160 a month with a 607 credit score, but we were so happy to get the deal at all I think we got played with the warranty and gap insurance (we can cance both at any time).
    Would it be worth keeping either? Or ditching one or both?

We are so excited about the car but I’ve been reading about the traction battery life expectancy etc and am now paranoid about the car just basically exploding in my face, can you tel I’ve never owned a hybrid
    This place is a wealth of info though!! Sorry for the novel.

Brandon Most likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

start with a block heater, a must have in cold climes.

as for the warranty, it depends on what you paid, what it covers and for how long. is maine a carb state? if yes, the battery gets 10/150 warranty. if no, 8/100.

i'm not familiar with gap insurance.

all the best!(y)

3. skayaks

skayaks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sound advice from bisco. Yes, Maine is a CARB state, so you should have 10/150 warranty on HV battery.
    Your mileage will be crushed by very cold temps, but don't worry about that - you'll still be ahead of most everything else.
    If you don't know if the 12V battery has been replaced that is something you'll need to watch, because a failure will not present gradually as it will on non-hybrids.
    "JimboPalmer" suggested this 12V test:
    With your foot off the brake get it in "ACC" and roll the driver window down and up.
    Now with your foot on the Brake put it in "Ready" and do the same.
    Did they both take the same time? Was the first really slow compared to the second?
    If just the battery was way slower than the battery charged by the inverter, you need a new battery soon.​
    Not everyone agreed this was a valid test. I've tried it and haven't noticed a difference that might indicate a failing battery, so YMMV.
    HV battery tip: Remove the plastic panel over the HV battery fan intake (below driver's side rear seat) and make sure the filter is clean.

I've been happy with winter handling using 4 Michelin X-Ice tires. Since you're in the mountains, you may want something more aggressive.
    Welcome to PriusChat and hope you have many happy miles with your C.

pilotgrrl and bisco like this.
  4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That percentage rate is good for a used car... but man that hurts.
    In regards to the GAP, did you put any money down? On a used car, gap isn't as noticeable because the price of the car should be relative. With a new car, GAP is pretty important because the minute you drive it off the lot, the price drops. If you were to immediately get into a wreck and didn't have GAP, you would owe money for the car still.

If you put money down and owe less than what the car is worth, I would give back the gap insurance. You should check with your insurance company as well. They tend to provide GAP insurance at a cheaper rate than the dealers, most of the time.

5. 3bahres

3bahres New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I had to put a hefty amount down, 1500 (yay for big tax returns) to secure a loan due to our credit so yes to a down payment. Doing the math I’d say gap insurance isn’t really covering all that much and I got suckered into something we don’t actually need but I can cancel at any time I read it in that portion of the contract.

As far as winter goes, I’m not worried now. With March upon us the temps are a solid 40ish during the days! Which is really warm considering lol. But if we have temps next winter like this one a block heater is going to be a must, I think.

Ultimately the mpgs is going to be amazing at any level compared to our envoy which is horrendous on gas. I can’t be the only one to contend with winter temps so I’ll keep the worry to a minimum!
    Thank you all I’m excited just to read and learn

ztanos and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope. plenty of northerners across the country with good things to report, and the hybrid battery tends to last longer.

7. I've never needed a block heater. I financed a Prius c in 2013. The coldest that it sat outside was -20F, and the coldest that it started up was -11F. You've got 0W-20 synthetic, and a tried-and-true NiMH traction battery, so it'll crank. In extreme cold temperatures, just give the steering column and the battery time to warm up (let the car preheat... yeah it'll use gas but you'll still get better fuel economy than a truck).
    Happy early mud season!

8. 3bahres

3bahres New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It is indeed early mud season here :) lol

I’m hoping next winter isn’t quite as extreme as this past winter was which we had record low temps for. As far as handling I made it up an extremely twisty and steep dirt driveway this morning without a single issue which makes me feel better in general. It’s quite a switch going from suvs with 4wd to this!

9. Looks like I spoke too soon... :mad: [​IMG]

Edit: C'mon snail you're 1mm too high off the baseline!

10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    He's on an invisible cushion of air.