1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Can it Chrip when you lock/unlock the car (newbie)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Blegate, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi - Is there a way to make the prius chrip when you lock/unlock the door using the smart key? I'm one of those people who never remember where I park. I guess I could use the panic button but that seems extreme..
    brian

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well, you could always go around pressing the LOCK button on the fob and listening for that one beep. It's probably safer than pressing the UNLOCK button.

3. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 17 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]241145[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius doesn't make any noises when I lock/unlock. My old Camry chirped when I locked and unlocked the car. I sort of miss that feaure cause it helped me find my auto in the parking lot. I was hoping there was a special feaure some where hidden that would enable this. I suppose the panic button will have to do. Perhaps it will force me into remembering where I parked in the first place.
    b

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 05 chirps when locking or "checking for locked status" as mentioned above. Maybe check with dealer to see if something needs to be reset.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The "cherp" on lock is very quiet. I wish they would have used the horn!. Look for the parking light blink. Often ambient noise will drown out the fait beep. The worse is when you are locking from the back hatch!

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusBrian @ Apr 17 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]241316[/snapback]</div>

It should. Ask the dealer to enable it for you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Apr 17 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]241328[/snapback]</div>
    Oh please NO! I HATE those cars that use a horn as a lock/unlock chirp.

a) it's really annoying cause some of them are at full blast. Most people who have them turn them off because it's loud.
    B) shows the manufacturer was being cheap by not installing another alarm chirp

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm totally with Tideland on this one. I can't stand it. It's that reason that I disabled it on my and my wife's Regals (I traded mine in). From what I understand, a Toyota Service Tech can disable the audible chirp at the dealer. In Brian's case, they can probably turn it back on.

There seems to be a fascination with locking and unlocking one's car from the farthest possible distance. I've seen people get out of their car completely empty-handed, walk up to twenty feet away, turn and fob-lock the car/SUV. Wth? Doesn't that model come with a armrest button? The Prius does and just out of principal, I use it every chance I get.

When Priapus goes ino the dealer next time, I'm asking that they disable the chirp.

8. Emma

Emma New Member

I'm okay with the chirp. It's not loud enough to be obnoxious, but it's loud enough for me to hear if I'm paying attention. I would be fine if it was just the lights blinking, too.

I hate, despise, detest, abhor, and loathe car horns. They should be used extremely sparingly and in the event of an emergency situation. Using the car horn as the lock/unlock indicator is right up there with using one's car horn when pulling into someone's driveway because one is too lazy to get one's nice person out of one's car and ring the doorbell. I live next door to a house full of lazy idiots, so this has become quite a sore spot with me!

One of the huge advantages (at least in my opinion) of the Prius is not just that it creates less air pollution....but that it creates less noise pollution, too. :)

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm, My 04 does it either way.

10. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Interesting, my '04 does not chirp at all, all I can hear are the buttons clicking open or closed. Does anyone know if there are instructions here on enabling the chirp?

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Emma @ Apr 18 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]241487[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, count me in that crowd too. I hate car horns for the simple reason that when I hear a horn toot nearby, I always look as it sounds like someone trying to get my attention. Nope, just some idiot locking his car.

Isn't it technically illegal in many jurisdictions to fire your horn for no reason? Shouldn't this be considered the same?

Kevin

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Apr 18 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]241532[/snapback]</div>
    It's nothing you can disable - or enable - on your own. It's done through the ScanTool by the Service Tech.

13. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :D As UNIQUE as the Prius' shape is... seems it would be easy to detect in a parking lot. Of course, at night the parking lights blink.

14. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 17 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]241349[/snapback]</div>
    Hear, Hear! ;)

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i prefer no noise on my Prius as well. if i can t find it, (happened once at the Bellevue Mall, i will gladly use the panic alarm (better than wandering around like a lost puppy) if need be.

to be honest with ya, dont really have that much of an issue finding my car. and i am NOT really good at remembering where i put it. always seem to be a row off.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 18 2006, 07:28 AM) [snapback]241457[/snapback]</div>

funny eh? you know what's even funnier? People who have remote keyless entry, walk right up to the driver's side door, then press the unlock button once, open the driver's side door, then press unlock on the armrest to unlock the passenger side door :blink: