1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius can move on it's on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Maytrix, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EDIT - Please disregard this topic and instead go to this one: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=12887&hl=

Here's something I've noticed the other day and again today.

Park your prius on level ground and leave it running. Sit and wait or do something that would engage the ICE. The prius will actually move forward a few inches - similiar to how it rolls after you put it in park.

This isn't a problem, but it's something to be aware of and not something you'd see in a normal ICE vehicle.

My 2nd time seeing it was tonight while I was checking tire pressure. I left the car on and was outside filling up a tire when it took a little trip forward. It's quite startling, especially since I was so close to the wheel.

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Try Pressing "PARK"

Another thing to note is the electric motor engaging *IF* you do not press the brake pedal while stopped, as at a traffic signal. You can illustrate this by observing the MFD "Energy Monitor" screen. You will see that the "arrows" indicate power flowing from the traction battery to the wheels until you press the brake pedal. This effect is similar to the "creeping" in a standard automatic transmission while the engine is idleing.

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Charles...I don't know why you behave this way. There is a small amount of play in the parking pawl so the car can move a few inches. It has been brought up in other threads. It's unique to the prius because what other car just starts the ICE w/o warning.

Your "read the manual, idiot" and "use the (fill-in the blank) stupid", says more about you than the people you are answering.

Pretty soon, people will start ignoring you, and that would be a shame because you used to have a lot more to offer.

4. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    AGREED!

5. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I wasn't clear enough with "Park your prius on level ground and leave it running" - I should have stated "Stop your prius on level ground, press park and leave it running.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maytrix,

Just ignore the sanctimonious pontifications.